Raised beds!

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
Looking for pictures of raised beds! I need inspiration! Plan to make tge boxes out of rough cut pine from a nearby mill to save money! But im struggling to see how many beds/bed layout with what I grow.

Planned for the 2022 season:
Potatoes
Bell pepper
Jalapeño
Onion
Carrot
Lettuce
Zucchini
Cucumber
Carving pumpkin
Pie pumpkin
Roma tomato
Peas(maybe couple different varieties)
Garlic(maybe)
Type of pole bean(maybe)

Thinking of growing both pumpkin, Zucchini and Cucumber on trellis and do an arch style with hog fencing from one bed to the next. I also already plan on pairing the carrots and onion in the same box and possibly lettuce and garlic(if I do garlic) in another. Which would leave the tomatoes in its own bed because of space requirements. Potatoes the same in its own dedicated box and both varieties of pepper in a box together.

Anyone have any pictures to help this guy get inspiration? I'm honestly tired of weeding and figured it'd be easier to weed if I have to in a raised bed.

8BF98E55-397A-48FC-945A-087F15AD4F46.jpeg
4904A808-9168-4E68-B14D-2A5265FFF9AA.jpeg

Here is what we’re working on for our garden. The garden beds are from this site: http://birdiesgardenproducts.com.au/
We pulled up the grass and put it in the bottom of the taller ones then put cardboard over the top to stop it from going through. We made sure there was enough room between the garden beds that we could fit a wheelbarrow through. We are digging up the gravel from one side of our house and putting it between the garden beds, after we are done with that we are going to put wood chips on top of the gravel. We haven’t gotten round to planting anything in them yet, but we will start trying to plant stuff in late July-Early August.

View attachment 2753751View attachment 2753752
Here is what we’re working on for our garden. The garden beds are from this site: http://birdiesgardenproducts.com.au/
We pulled up the grass and put it in the bottom of the taller ones then put cardboard over the top to stop it from going through. We made sure there was enough room between the garden beds that we could fit a wheelbarrow through. We are digging up the gravel from one side of our house and putting it between the garden beds, after we are done with that we are going to put wood chips on top of the gravel. We haven’t gotten round to planting anything in them yet, but we will start trying to plant stuff in late July-Early August.
I looked at metal like this but last time I did I nearly fainted because of cost. I will check out the link you provided though!

I looked at metal like this but last time I did I nearly fainted because of cost. I will check out the link you provided though!
What we got definitely isn’t the cheapest thing on the market. But we are planning on using it for years and figure that it is worth the price. There are a lot cheaper ones that we got that work for a year or two then kind of fall apart. Either way it is an idea.

A few pics of mine. I find the squash while very happy in the pots would appreciate a bit of afternoon/evening shade.

Please excuse the clutter in the yard. I get interrupted a lot and have to drop what I am doing....often not getting back to it for a day or three.

Across the 4 raised beds...These boxes are 11" deep 4' wide and 8' long. I added little 3x4' boxes on the ends for a bit more planting space.
IMG_20210709_185654.jpg

The pole beans are just starting to climb here. Candy onions are between the trellis and greenhouse.
IMG_20210709_185704.jpg

I still keep some in ground space behind this tomato bed. I should have put that early girl tomato in the big cage and that other one in the wire cage.
Carrots are in pots here, much easier to harvest that way.
IMG_20210709_185717.jpg

My cull lumber strawberry box and a bunching onion planter that is made from 3 cedar fence pickets.
IMG_20210709_185733.jpg

Yellow straight neck squash in the middle and zucchini on the left. The other barrel has extra strawberry plants this year.
IMG_20210709_185748.jpg

It’s like a monsoon right now so I can’t take a pic, but I made my raised beds out of cinderblocks. I made a frame of cinderblocks, I put the red tomato frames they sell at Home Depot around the back and sides like a wall and I made my cucumbers, vine peaches, and snap peas climb up it. You can put half size patio blocks over the top of the cinderblocks to cover the holes and it looks like a classy little wall (I bought the pavers but haven’t deployed them because I’m lazy, and now weeds are growing out of the holes lol).

I have one zucchini plant since they aren’t a popular veggie in my house, they need a bunch of space so I put it in a corner with a 4ft tall, round, cheap, tomato cage over it, and I push the leaves up into that so it doesn’t take over the whole garden. I have carrots and potatoes in grow bags, so I don’t need to dig them up, I can peek in their Velcro window and when they’re ready, I can dump them into the wheel barrow and easily remove all the veggies. The potatoes are on the side of my driveway because deer and other animals won’t eat their leaves since they are toxic. The rest are in the backyard protected by my fence, I have them sitting around the raised bed on the outside. I have strawberries that hang in bags with little pockets the plants grow thru and drape down, so the berries aren’t sitting on the dirt. I have hung several tomato plants off my pergola on my back deck, in sturdy upside down tomato grow bags. I have a very small yard, so I’m always looking for ways to use vertical space, and I have my quail under my deck. Over the winter, I put the birds in the center of where I was going to make the garden this year, and used deep litter, then I spread the pooped up decomposing litter over the ground, and covered with maybe 4 inches of container soil, then top soil, and those plants are growing like a jungle! I will try to remember to post pics tomorrow. I’m obsessed with my garden.

My potatoes, the big one is from supermarket potatoes and the small one is from seed potatoes I bought at the feed store, I wanted to compare the results:
E7D90BF4-558A-48C2-9CA4-DCB890B87832.jpeg

The grocery store potatoes are so tall, I turn them every day so they lean on the house, I’m afraid they will break in a strong wind haha.

A few pics of mine. I find the squash while very happy in the pots would appreciate a bit of afternoon/evening shade.

Please excuse the clutter in the yard. I get interrupted a lot and have to drop what I am doing....often not getting back to it for a day or three.

Across the 4 raised beds...These boxes are 11" deep 4' wide and 8' long. I added little 3x4' boxes on the ends for a bit more planting space.
View attachment 2753772

The pole beans are just starting to climb here. Candy onions are between the trellis and greenhouse.
View attachment 2753773

I still keep some in ground space behind this tomato bed. I should have put that early girl tomato in the big cage and that other one in the wire cage.
Carrots are in pots here, much easier to harvest that way.
View attachment 2753774

My cull lumber strawberry box and a bunching onion planter that is made from 3 cedar fence pickets.
View attachment 2753775

Yellow straight neck squash in the middle and zucchini on the left. The other barrel has extra strawberry plants this year.
View attachment 2753776
Just gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom