Raised Coops Question...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wvchickenhouse, Dec 12, 2011.

1. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    Would someone please tell me why some coops are on "legs" about a foot off the ground or something and some are not? I'm in the process of designing a new coop and I'm searching ideas... Thanks! [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I put all mine on legs for a few reasons. During rainy season there's little ground that isn't standing water or soggy.
    An elevated coop, if you have an access door for mucking out the manure/shavings, you can roll a cart under it and rake everyi\ hing into the cart or at least not bend over so far.
    Best of all, in the heat of summer it is the coolest place for the chickens to hang out. It also stays dry enough that it's the only place they can take a dustbath in winter.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you do this, you might keep in mind that sooner or later you will have to retrieve something from under there -- an egg, a sick or broody hen, etc.

4. buffs only

buffs only Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Conyers Georgia
    I live in Georgia and our summers get hot, my coop is about two feet off the ground and in the mid day heat you'll always fine my hens up under the house in the cool shade that the elevated house provides. That's the number one benefit of the raised coop here in the hot south that I see.

Buffs Only

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I am in Michigan. My coop is raised about 2.5 feet off the ground. I have a 4x8 coop. The bottom has an access door, and is completely enclosed with cloth and the bottom against the ground has wire. My coop has and access hole to this area for the chickens to go down into. I do it like this for one reason alone... So, if I do not get out early enough, they can still come out of the coop. I also hang the food under there to keep the mess out of the coop thru the warm months. Also have water under there. I use a long rake from both ends of the under run to clean it out, or I just plug in the leaf blower if I am feeliing super lazy. Now this time of year, the bottom is glassed in on one side to stop the snow and as a protected winter run off the other side so the chooks have somewhere to hang out if they don't want to go in the snow, but don't want to be in the coop. So far though, snow as not been a problem for them, once they realised it wasn't gonna hurt them. LOL. Well, anyway, Thats pretty much why mine is up, so they can go outside at anytime in the morning and wait for me to let them in the yard. Some days I don't get out till 10 am, and they'd like me to let them out more like 7:30 am as soon as the sun is out.

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    The main reason mine is raised, is to NOT give mice, rats or other pests a nice secure/hidden place to set up housekeeping. Raise the coop and the undesiriables have no place to hide.
    Jack

7. auto5man

auto5man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Memphis
    My initial reasons were... 1) clean out easier on the back. 2) really liked the look of raised coop better (in the small to medium size coop pictures I looked at to get ideas for my small backyard flock of six)

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My coops are raised 2 - 3 feet off the ground for the following reasons:

1. Provides extra space for my animals to walk under to get out of the rain.
    2. Provides shade for them to go under during those hot Louisiana days.
    3. Allows me to place my long chicken yard feeders under when it rains.
    4. No varmints (mice, etc) can hide and live.

9. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I heard some silkies wont use a ramp to a raised coop...is that true? I'm designing my coop for silkies and can't decide if the raised is going to work.

10. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I have limited space since I'm in the city, so I opted for a raised coop. Now I notice that the girls go down there to nap and to get away from the heat or the rain when we have "those Florida rains". I also put the nest boxes down there since it seem more "secluded"...so far rhey have all laid their eggs in there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by