Raised coops WHY?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by real_redhead, Mar 25, 2012.

1. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    We are in the process of designing a new coop, we currently have a tractor set up that I have found it isn't working for us. Plus we just had a dog attack and want a permanent more secure coop/run. When looking at all the medium coop designs I have found that most of them are raised off of the ground with a space under the coop. Is there any particular reason for this? I am looking at doing more of a shed type coop that I can walk into with a run that will be attached with a door as well. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have a larger coop, not medium. It’s a walk-in and on the ground. I personally would not want any coop I could not walk into, but I can see an advantage for a raised coop for some people. A raised coop can be made walk-in, as far as that goes.

A raised coop can be easier to clean out. Just pull up a wheelbarrow or trailer and rake the stuff out into it.

If you are in a wet area, that is an easy way to keep the coop dry.

If space is tight and you keep your chickens in a run, the space under the coop increases your run area, gives them a place to for shade, and gives you a place you can hang a feeder and keep it dry.

In hot climates, you can keep them cooler if you design for it. However, a disadvantage in the winter may be that it is harder to keep them warmer. In my opinion, that has more to do with keeping water thawed and keeping direct drafts off of them instead of keeping the chickens warm, but you can handle that with proper design.

This has more to do with the size of the coop than whether it is raised, but you have to be able to reach all areas inside the coop. If it is not a walk-in, that can be a problem. I also like to be able to walk in mine to see what is going on. I’ve found dead chickens, snakes, and an opossum in mine.

I’m sure others will have different reasons but space, keeping it dry, and cleanout quickly come to mind.

3. chickengoober

chickengoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    I have a medium raised coop myself and I chose this mainly to increase the run space. Another reason is that no matter where the sun is, the chickens always have a place to go for shade; the same applies for rain. We're looking into moving soon and when we do, we want to get a bigger, walk in style coop just because we'll have more room and we definatly want more chickens !
    [​IMG]

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The advantage of my small/medium coop (4X4) being raised is there is a sheltered area underneath I can hang the feeder. Shelter for chickens and increases run area. Also when cleaning I'm not crawling, just lean over to shovel out the pine chips or grab a bird if I need too.

At any rate I think a coop should be protected from rotting on the ground. A full foundation seems impractical for a chicken coop so elevating at least half a foot prevents rot.

5. real_redhead

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Thanks everyone, I forgot to mention that the whole run will be covered with a roof so that it stays dry (hopefully), we will be building it so the longest length is attached to the garage. Right now the tractor is built about a foot off the ground so that the chickens can go under it (it is the only protection from the sun/elements and the run is open to the elements but covered on all sides with wire so on days like today where it has been raining on and off it is really muddy out there. We figured by having a covered run we would element most of the mud, plus I could hang the feeder in the run (right now it is in the coop). I can see the advantages of cleaning it. One idea was to lay a concrete pad to make cleaning easier. All thoughts and comments are welcome!

6. ChickenCrazed

ChickenCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    I have had both walk in and raised...I LOVE my raised coop!...I also have an enclosed, roofed run attached and I hang the feeder and waterer in there! I have the back side of the coop with two large doors that open up and all I have to do is pull all the litter into my wheel barrow and haul away...So easy!...I find shoveling litter from the floor such back breaking work for me...Another benefit of the coop being raised is no mice or rats can take up residency underneath it!... [​IMG]

7. mb poultry

mb poultry Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    We have both styles. The raised coops are great for smaller coops, we have three approx. 4x4 each. They are for our smaller groups of chickens. I built them with one side hinged at the top for easy cleaning. I also have a raised coop 7x3, that the front wall raises for cleaning. They give shade and a dry place for the chickens that a standard walk in coop does not. I also have a large walk in coop for the large laying flock. It does not provide the shade or dryness underneath, but it is large enough for them to stay in during bad weather. So my advice is small flocks and runs, use a raised coop, for large flocks and runs or free range, go with the walk in.

8. ChaoticCritters

ChaoticCritters Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    I have the best of both worlds... a raised, walk-in coop!

We went with raised due to flooding, mice (we have a farm and mice are prevalent), ease of cleaning and rattlesnakes.

It's about 3 feet off the ground, just high enough that I can slide a muck bucket under the big doors and scrape the contents of the coop into it. If I need to for whatever reason, there's a built-in support bar so I can pull myself up and the interior is 5.5' tall so I can easily walk around (I am barely over 5'). No mice or snakes in my coop and I can empty it out in 5 minutes.

9. wilbilt

wilbilt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    I don't have a lot of space in the area I built my small coop, so raising it allowed for more run space within the same 6' x 8' footprint. It will also reduce the chance of rodents gaining access, as they are plentiful around here. One side is a door that opens for easy access and cleanout into a wheelbarrow. Based on the "Wichita Cabin Coop" but on a smaller budget.

[​IMG]

10. real_redhead

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    This is similar to what we have come up with, but with a run that is longer but couldn't decide on the coop part, all the way to the ground or above. Great comments and suggestions! Keep it coming and any pics would be appreciated or lessons learned!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by