Raising 1 Brahma hen with other breeds?

WhtRos2

Songster
9 Years
Dec 27, 2014
Rock Island, IL
I am thinking of buying 4 regular laying chicks and 1 Brahma hen chick. They will free-range. When they are adults, will the Brahma, who will be larger, pick on the smaller chickens or will she be protective?

The Brahmas I have had have always been very docile. I have never had one that picked on the others.
In fact I kept them with a mixed flock that included bantam cochins.
As to being protective... they aren't any more protective then any other hen.

I am thinking of buying 4 regular laying chicks and 1 Brahma hen chick. They will free-range. When they are adults, will the Brahma, who will be larger, pick on the smaller chickens or will she be protective?
I did that and for me that was a big problem that took a while to develope,
cons: yes the full size hens bully the bantam, and the pecking order is difficult on them.
If there is or should ever be a rooster for the flock, a person would have to consider that’s cruel to put a full size rooster near a banter because the banty would be crushed!
The bantam lays an egg that is so small it’s difficult to deal with that one little egg!!!
I don’t advise it at all
That’s been my experience.

I did that and for me that was a big problem that took a while to develope,
cons: yes the full size hens bully the bantam, and the pecking order is difficult on them.
If there is or should ever be a rooster for the flock, a person would have to consider that’s cruel to put a full size rooster near a banter because the banty would be crushed!
The bantam lays an egg that is so small it’s difficult to deal with that one little egg!!!
I don’t advise it at all
That’s been my experience.
sorry same goes for a rama’s they to are bully’s in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom