Raising 3 ducklings - bedding

Aimee_1313

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2021
Hey Guys.
Just after some advise on what's the best bedding for ducklings. I am raising 5 day old pekin ducks and im wanting to know if the bedding i have is okay for now.
I am just using Oaten hay as a bedding. They are loving it, foraging around, munching on the hay. Is this okay? I have done a bit of research on oaten hay/straw and I have gotten pretty good feedback saying that oaten hay is a great bedding.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210412-233926_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210412-233926_Chrome.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 2
There are many different personal opinions on bedding. What works for one person in one climate may not work for another and so there is no one perfect bedding solution for all.

Many people use hay for bedding, more use straw. My avian veterinarian recommended that I use 4-6 inches of either and that I do not use wood shavings. Some people have no issues with wood shavings, but my flock was getting bumblefoot.

When my ducklings were little I had them on thick layers of towels. It was a lot of laundry! But it worked for us.

There are many different personal opinions on bedding. What works for one person in one climate may not work for another and so there is no one perfect bedding solution for all.

Many people use hay for bedding, more use straw. My avian veterinarian recommended that I use 4-6 inches of either and that I do not use wood shavings. Some people have no issues with wood shavings, but my flock was getting bumblefoot.

When my ducklings were little I had them on thick layers of towels. It was a lot of laundry! But it worked for us.
Thankyou so much for your detailed response :) I appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom