Raising a Bobwhite with Coturnix??

Little Bob is growing up to be beautiful.... about 10wks old now. Any ideas if male or female? Or still too early to tell? No calling. Sweet with my coturnix, less sweet to people... definitely my husband's bird 😂

Attachments

• 20200608_175745.jpg
    20200608_175745.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Asking for one more bit of advice since I believe Little Bob is in our family to stay at this point...

Out of our 12 Coturnix chicks, we have 3 females and 2 males left. I have my rosetta male divided from the group but within the same cage so they don't forget him and my Tibetan tuxedo is in with the ladies and Little Bob. I have 4 more female adults arriving on Tuesday to help even the ratio out a bit to see if we can add the rosetta back in.

That being said, they are in a rabbit hutch currently and all seem happy and content with the set up. Though Little Bob is outgrowing the coturnix and seems like he needs more space than the others. I know the recommended space to coturnix is at least 1 sq ft and bobwhite is 3 sq ft . I have thought about moving them all to a larger pen and just leaving the herd together, which is difficult because I live in a townhouse and these are indoor birds. Or to put Little Bob in his own pen which would be easier to accommodate. Though he isn't aggressive with these guys ( he is only 11 weeks old) and has been with them his whole life since day 1 in the brooder. I'm worried he would get lonely. Also unsure how he would be once he reaches maturity, would he likely still get territorial if he has no bobwhite mate? Would it be safer to separate him anyway? Any thoughts from bobwhite experts would be helpful!

I'm not a bobwhite expert by any means, but I have kept bobwhites and japanese quails together successfully (and they weren't raised together). It can be done, but just keep a close eye on them if you do.

Back
Top Bottom