Raising a house chick?

PippiChicken

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 2, 2014
My RIR cross recently hatched a silky cross. In her situation, she can leave the barn and so can her chick but then the chick can't get back in. I ran in to that problem yesterday. We have a dog that loves to kill chicks. Unfortunatly the chick can escape the pen. Very unsafe. I decided to take that chick and keep it inside, the others she will hatch she can have but I will put them and her in a safer pen.

Now, I took the chick yesterday and named it Easter. I'm pretty sure it's a boy. Not sure though so if anyone has a sure fire way of sexing them let me know.

He follows me around, chirps if I leave him, and sleeps in my lap. He lives free roam on my bed and on the floor of my room. At night he keeps me up unless he is aloud to sleep on me/with me. I don't mind much, how can I make him a diaper type thing? Is it possible to litter train a chick? I plan to make him a part house chicken. How train him to know his name?

And is there anything else I should know about raising house chicks?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions.

My RIR cross recently hatched a silky cross. In her situation, she can leave the barn and so can her chick but then the chick can't get back in. I ran in to that problem yesterday. We have a dog that loves to kill chicks. Unfortunatly the chick can escape the pen. Very unsafe. I decided to take that chick and keep it inside, the others she will hatch she can have but I will put them and her in a safer pen.

Now, I took the chick yesterday and named it Easter. I'm pretty sure it's a boy. Not sure though so if anyone has a sure fire way of sexing them let me know.

He follows me around, chirps if I leave him, and sleeps in my lap. He lives free roam on my bed and on the floor of my room. At night he keeps me up unless he is aloud to sleep on me/with me. I don't mind much, how can I make him a diaper type thing? Is it possible to litter train a chick? I plan to make him a part house chicken. How train him to know his name?

And is there anything else I should know about raising house chicks?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions.

I have raised single house chicks before. It would be best to have it in a cardboard box with a lamp for heat. And a mirror for company. But they still need a lot of holding and attention.
You can buy diapers for full grown chickens but you'd never find one small enough for a baby Silky. So just keep a spray bottle of Oxyclean and some tissues handy. They will poop when the mood hits them no matter how much you train them.
big_smile.png

They will learn their name real quick if you say it several times every time you pick it up. Chickens can learn a lot of words and their meanings if they hear it enough.
smile.png

Thank you! I'm in process of setting up a bin/home for it while I'm gone. Otherwise it's with me. I do say its name often. Thanks again for replying!

Back
Top Bottom