Raising a rooster

Pics
That is very interesting, I've never had a chicken that responded to calling it by name. Since all of them tend to follow you all the time, I find it hard to single out one, as it were. Do you have any tips about that?
You can start with adult but process slower. Broody hens with chicks learn faster than anyone, the hens that is.

Do you have access to Icelandic chickens, they might be able learn fast? The oriental breeds are alleged to be pretty smart as well. My crossed birds are intermediate.

I hold and pet my roosters, always have, I don't chose aggressive breeds, and when a rooster starts to get feisty, I do not play the game the way he wants it, if they come near I pick them up, I never push him off with the foot, I carry a rooster around, they learn if they come near you, they will always be picked up, soon they avoid you, or want to get picked up. The other thing is if you act afraid of them they will sense it and rate you lower than them on the pecking order, you do not have to be mean to a rooster to be above, but never show fear.

Last edited:
Chicks used below were hand raised. The were housed in my man room much of day and not yet given proper free-range time without very direct supervision. They followed me around everywhere when outside house. They were examples of house chickens for the first 6 months which worked well on concrete. it took me three days to get them to fly like in first video. Outside, they were already capable of flying 100' horizontally and could get 15 feet up. They were game chickens so not average in terms of flight capacity.

@centrarchid youre taking an awful lot of credit for doing something special with those birds. Anybody can do it with gamefowl. I have very few issues getting hens to come to me. Roosters to fly up to my hand etc.. The main difference is I don’t have loose “gamecocks” like you do.

I’ve posted more pics with many different roosters in one hand totally relaxed and calm unlike your chickens from 7-8 yrs ago. How about we see what you’re doing with your current group of young gamefowl.

Back
Top Bottom