Raising a single duckling...?

WiseAlliOwl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Well, through circumstances I have now have one duckling, only a day or two old...it's only been home for a few hours but honestly I'm a little worried for it. Will it survive by itself? I mean, I got the heat lamp on him and I've raised ducklings before, but never just one! I want to try and get some friends for it but I wouldn't be able to get them for about another week, will he be ok?
Currently I'm in high school and working so I don't have time to sit down for hours and play with him, and he has to stay in the chick office and not in the house so he's sorta just isolated and I feel terrible :( but if I didn't take him the man who hatched him out was just going to kill him and I couldn't let that happen.
Anyway, do you think he'll be ok with being alone for a little bit? I'm going to try and visit and keep him happy and healthy, but has anyone raised a single duckling before? (In case I can't get any ducklings for him) any tips?

That was very nice of you saving the little ducklings life!! Have you considered trying any farm stores around for a friend for it? Most of them have a few day old ducklings for sale! Until you can find a friend try a shatter proof mirror it will help it not feel so lonely!

Well, through circumstances I have now have one duckling, only a day or two old...it's only been home for a few hours but honestly I'm a little worried for it. Will it survive by itself? I mean, I got the heat lamp on him and I've raised ducklings before, but never just one! I want to try and get some friends for it but I wouldn't be able to get them for about another week, will he be ok?
Currently I'm in high school and working so I don't have time to sit down for hours and play with him, and he has to stay in the chick office and not in the house so he's sorta just isolated and I feel terrible :( but if I didn't take him the man who hatched him out was just going to kill him and I couldn't let that happen.
Anyway, do you think he'll be ok with being alone for a little bit? I'm going to try and visit and keep him happy and healthy, but has anyone raised a single duckling before? (In case I can't get any ducklings for him) any tips?
Maybe this will help.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

you lil one is going to be very lonely so a non breakable mirror will help alot and a stuffed animal to snuggle with but most of all it's going to need a friend. Hope you can find it some soon.

I have raised a lone duckling. All his other buddies were killed in a horrific shipping accident. I got a mirror, small stuffed animals and played a radio softly to help with the loneliness until he was old enough to be outside with my other ducks to keep him company. I am in high school too so I was not with him most of the day but I carried him around with me all the time when I was home. If there was a place that sold ducklings where I live I would have definitely gotten him a buddy but the only way to get ducks where I live is to order them. Do you have ducks already or is the only one? If you have others, this one should be fine until he gets to be with the others. My lone duck is now living happily and healthy with my other ducks :). If you don't have others, I would definitely get more. Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I put a mirror in with her and yesterday some of the chicken eggs in the incubator hatched :) she's getting along well with the older one, but the younger ones are bantam chicks and I'm worried they're still to young to go in with them. Until then though, I'm trying to keep Prunella and Burt as close to me as possible :)

I am in the same situation with my month-old Runner duckling. If you are in mid-Michigan, I will donate mine to keep yours company. Marilyn

Aw I wish I was, sadly I am in Pennsylvania and that's a little out of the way :( I hope your duck does great though, mine gets along pretty well with the chicks for now, hopefully that doesn't change in the future!

@abbypeaches & @WiseAlliOwl

It's only 6 hrs between yas. Meet in the middle. ;) The other thing each of you could do is check your Craigslist. I'm seeing lots on there. Also, look around for waterfowl rehabilitators in your area. The problem which you ought to be concerned about is the bonding and attachment (imprinting) that usually occurs when single ducklings are raised. I know that you want what's best, and you're both trying to do the right kind thing, but if you are not seriously ready to keep the ducklings for their entire lives, then you might be better off rehoming.
ETA: I'm not trying to imply that either of you are doing anything wrong, nothing you've said makes me believe that you are, but please read thru this thread, all about Imprinted Ducks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/734535/raising-ducks-like-children-please-dont

@finny Can you please offer any more info on raising a singleton and avoiding imprinting?

Last edited:
@abbypeaches & @WiseAlliOwl

It's only 6 hrs between yas. Meet in the middle. ;) The other thing each of you could do is check your Craigslist. I'm seeing lots on there. Also, look around for waterfowl rehabilitators in your area. The problem which you ought to be concerned about is the bonding and attachment (imprinting) that usually occurs when single ducklings are raised. I know that you want what's best, and you're both trying to do the right kind thing, but if you are not seriously ready to keep the ducklings for their entire lives, then you might be better off rehoming.
ETA: I'm not trying to imply that either of you are doing anything wrong, nothing you've said makes me believe that you are, but please read thru this thread, all about Imprinted Ducks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/734535/raising-ducks-like-children-please-dont

@finny Can you please offer any more info on raising a singleton and avoiding imprinting?

There is no way you can avoid a duckling imprinting on you. Ducklings imprint on the person or animal they see most. Most ducklings imprint on their siblings since they are with them 24/7. Ducklings can imprint on multiple animals as well, but the level or intesity of the imprint depends on how much time the ducklings are with each animal. With single ducklings, they will imprint on you since you will be feeding them every day. Even if the duckling does not see you a lot, it will still imprint on you since you are the only living thing it sees. So the duckling will imprint even if it doesn't seem like it did, but it may just have a very low level of imprinting on you. I hope this makes sense. But it would be cruel to ignore the lone duckling all day. A mirror and a stuffed animal will help with its lonelieness but it will not cure it. The duckling needs your love and attention. Hope this helped

Update!!!

In a odd twist of fate the duckling, whose name is Prunella, has now completely imprinted on me
idunno.gif
and is now sleeping in my bed on a shrine of paper towels and washable diapers...she also comes to school with me...and most everywhere...so now I am raising her like I would a baby and she's currently asleep in a sling tied around me...I'm in this one for the long haul...

Back
Top Bottom