Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
This is going to be a stupid question
But how do you post things like on your own page without responding to someone else
Like how do i start my own forum

Last edited:
This is going to be a stupid question
But how do you post things like on your own page without responding to someone else
Like how do i start my own forum

If I understand your question, then go to the forum y want to post in (ie ducks) On the top and bottom of the first page of threads, and on the left hand side is a blue box that says start a new thread. Click that.

Hope that helps (and is what you were asking)

I've kept chickens and guineas for years and will be starting a flock of ducks thus spring to help combat a duck weed problem on our ponds. My question is, if I buy adult rouens, what is the best method to train them to stay? Pen them up for a few weeks so they will relearn their new home? Also do adult ducks need a home or coop or will they find their own shelter in heavy brush or trees?

I've kept chickens and guineas for years and will be starting a flock of ducks thus spring to help combat a duck weed problem on our ponds. My question is, if I buy adult rouens, what is the best method to train them to stay? Pen them up for a few weeks so they will relearn their new home? Also do adult ducks need a home or coop or will they find their own shelter in heavy brush or trees?
@TwoPineSandy Welcome to BYC.. Yes best to keep them penned up for a few weeks till they know where home is. And all poultry should have a home or coop to be locked up in at night especially lots of predators have ducks/ chickens/ geese and guinea on their menu.

Last edited:
Hey gang! Thanks for all the great info. Last year we started our flock of 7 chickens and this year we purchased 6 Khaki ducklings
1f60a.png

Question I have is what do you think about putting the ducks in with the chickens so they have a fenced off run(I can add a wading pool) -OR- should I build them their own house(predator proof) by our pond where they would not have a fenced pen?

We usually free range on our wooded property when we are home. But when we aren't we leave them in the run so they are mostly safe from danger.

Hey gang! Thanks for all the great info. Last year we started our flock of 7 chickens and this year we purchased 6 Khaki ducklings
1f60a.png

Question I have is what do you think about putting the ducks in with the chickens so they have a fenced off run(I can add a wading pool) -OR- should I build them their own house(predator proof) by our pond where they would not have a fenced pen?

We usually free range on our wooded property when we are home. But when we aren't we leave them in the run so they are mostly safe from danger.

You can put them in with the chickens just make sure there is enough space because drakes can be territorial

Make sure there are more females than males and DO put in a wadding pool just make sure the chickens dont fall in

On another thread a young guy who hatched a Duckling yesterday or Sunday has had it start not keeping one eye open, and now both are shut. Any suggestions? The one from last week seems to be fine.

Back
Top Bottom