Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
I have looked quickly into differences in the kinds of niacin, they appear to be different chemicals, and there was one vague reference to effects on the liver for no-flush.

Storey's Guide, if I recall correctly, specifies plain niacin, and that is why I emphasize plain niacin.

If you can get brewer's yeast, that also has niacin as well as thiamine and other B vitamins.

What effect does no-flush niacin have? They are all I can find without ordering online.

I have looked quickly into differences in the kinds of niacin, they appear to be different chemicals, and there was one vague reference to effects on the liver for no-flush.

Storey's Guide, if I recall correctly, specifies plain niacin, and that is why I emphasize plain niacin.

If you can get brewer's yeast, that also has niacin as well as thiamine and other B vitamins.

I had trouble finding plain niacin and brewers yeast. I had checked two grocers and my local feed stores. I ended up finding the brewers yeast at a Vitamin Shoppe.
I knew I could get the brewers yeast at a nature foods store, but those are all too far away from me.
Just a heads up, I never thought about checking a local speciality store like that! I would guess GNC would also carry those items.

So if I had a broody duck and she hatch a clutch of eggs. I would need to separate her and her duckling from the flock and feed them starter grower with B 3 (nician or brewers yeast) as long as she is attending her duckling?
Though I am not a hatcher, based on what I have read here, that would be my plan. Not only for the food, but to keep the ducklings safer.

What does Niacin do for ducks? I'm sure the answer is in this thread but I'm just now seeing this and I'm in a panic.... we have been feeding chick starter and did not know to add Niacin. Our ducklings just turned 10 wks old. HELP

Last edited:
What does Niacin do for ducks?  I'm sure the answer is in this thread but I'm just now seeing this and I'm in a panic.... we have been feeding chick starter and did not know to add Niacin.  Our ducklings just turned 10 wks old.  HELP

They require much more Niacin then chicks. The lack of niacin can cause growth issues in their legs.

Back
Top Bottom