Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
yes Dumor Chick Starter. My chicks love it which is a good thing and at 3 weeks they have all quadrupled in size. They make peaceful peeping sounds (except one has started making a chirping sound which surprises me). The bag says also for Ducks with no additional nutritional supplements required. Just for good measure I add a little Brewers Yeast which does not seem to be hurting anything. For the chicks I use it just as is out of the bag. All my girls are a little picky. I have not yet found a treat that they really like, but they are young and I have been being careful what I use as treats. Another two or three weeks and they all go out in the coop. I am already dreading that. We have heard a pac of coyotes several times lately at night and in the early a.m. We have eight dogs and if necessary I will put our Anatolian Shepherd Dog out with them to start.

yes Dumor Chick Starter. My chicks love it which is a good thing and at 3 weeks they have all quadrupled in size. They make peaceful peeping sounds (except one has started making a chirping sound which surprises me). The bag says also for Ducks with no additional nutritional supplements required. Just for good measure I add a little Brewers Yeast which does not seem to be hurting anything. For the chicks I use it just as is out of the bag. All my girls are a little picky. I have not yet found a treat that they really like, but they are young and I have been being careful what I use as treats. Another two or three weeks and they all go out in the coop. I am already dreading that. We have heard a pac of coyotes several times lately at night and in the early a.m. We have eight dogs and if necessary I will put our Anatolian Shepherd Dog out with them to start.

That's good to know. I am planning on getting some K. Campbells in 2-3 weeks when the weather clears a little more. (We are expecting more ice and snow in the next couple days.) I have been trying to figure out what to feed them and all that.
How do you like your Anatolian? I was admiring some GPXAnatolian puppies a couple weeks ago. What kind of temperament does your dog have? You shouldn't have a coyote problem having 8 dogs! lol

Love my Anatolian. His name is Duke, he is about a year and a half and weighs in at 110 pounds. He is truly a gentle giant. The only issue is he tends to be food aggressive so we have to feed him alone and I think he feels like we are isolating him from his pack. So far none of the dogs have seen the chicks as they are in a brooding area inside the house and out of bounds for the dogs. We plan to introduce them slowly and on leash once the chicks go out to the coop. We have Duke, a Pomeranian, a Sheltie, two Boxer-Bulls, a German Short Hair Pointer, a Rhodesian Ridge-back, and a Greyhound/Lab mix. So, they will each have a personal and very genetic reaction to the birds. Each time we have heard the Coyotes the dogs have gone ballistic and the Coyotes have gotten very quiet...and we hope ran off the opposite direction.

No doubt you are well protected from any coyotes. lol Is your Anatolian agressive toward people at all, or strange people? I have been wanting one but don't want a dog that will eat strangers.

Back
Top Bottom