Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
The temperature is around 75-80 degrees. They stay in a dog cage converted into a brooder, but it's in a barn, so it's been subjected to around 30 degree nights for the past few days. Because it's been so cold (for where we live,) the lamp was increased to about 85. I've checked on the ducklings at night and they're fine, so I don't really see that as a cause. Our day temps are in the 70s, and the ducklings are three weeks old, so I turn off the heat lamp during the day. I've monitored them, and they've shown no problems with it. As for food, they get non medicated chick starter, and since they need niacin I add save a chick to their water. They drink and eat from the regular feeder and waterers from tractor supply. I've allowed them to roam around the barn and nibble at grass, so I also give them some grit. One duckling has a crooked neck, but I'm hoping the it will resolve itself. The duckling that died had no problems. They were growing very well and were very active ducklings, so I was surprised one died like that. The only possible issue I see is that they have about 45 minutes between running out of water and getting fresh water. They go through water very fast. All of the other ducklings show no signs of dehydration.

Thank you in advance for any possible help!

And to think I got to see this little one up close and hold it. Such an adorable little duckling.
love.gif

The temperature is around 75-80 degrees. They stay in a dog cage converted into a brooder, but it's in a barn, so it's been subjected to around 30 degree nights for the past few days. Because it's been so cold (for where we live,) the lamp was increased to about 85. I've checked on the ducklings at night and they're fine, so I don't really see that as a cause. Our day temps are in the 70s, and the ducklings are three weeks old, so I turn off the heat lamp during the day. I've monitored them, and they've shown no problems with it. As for food, they get non medicated chick starter, and since they need niacin I add save a chick to their water. They drink and eat from the regular feeder and waterers from tractor supply. I've allowed them to roam around the barn and nibble at grass, so I also give them some grit. One duckling has a crooked neck, but I'm hoping the it will resolve itself. The duckling that died had no problems. They were growing very well and were very active ducklings, so I was surprised one died like that. The only possible issue I see is that they have about 45 minutes between running out of water and getting fresh water. They go through water very fast. All of the other ducklings show no signs of dehydration.

Thank you in advance for any possible help!
They need water constantly especially when eating this may have been the problem may not hard to know for sure but I'd see about giving them water in something where they don't go through it so fast and are able to wash their faces too which is very important. So sorry for your loss. one idea https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/52173/less-mess-duckling-water/10 only thing you need to make the holes bigger as they grow but not large enough one can climb into it or you end up with this
42651_waterbottle.jpg
another idea https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426909/non-spill-duckling-waterer

Last edited:
Now I'm having a situation with my older ducks ( 6 months old male and female) they've been perfectly fine with the dog until recently, now when the dog comes out to "go" the makes chars and pecks at him! I think he is protecting his female, but he's never been a threat before so why now ?

Now I'm having a situation with my older ducks ( 6 months old male and female) they've been perfectly fine with the dog until recently, now when the dog comes out to "go" the makes chars and pecks at him! I think he is protecting his female, but he's never been a threat before so why now ?
Breeding season make drake and ganders very ornery believe me because I have both best to keep the 2 species separate till it's over or someone may get hurt.

Last edited:
They need water constantly especially when eating this may have been the problem may not hard to know for sure but I'd see about giving them water in something where they don't go through it so fast and are able to wash their faces too which is very important. So sorry for your loss.  one idea  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/52173/less-mess-duckling-water/10   only thing you need to make the holes bigger as they grow but not large enough one can climb into it or you end up with this   
42651_waterbottle.jpg
 another idea   https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426909/non-spill-duckling-waterer

Seriously!?! I can't stop laughing at this photo!!!

Back
Top Bottom