Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics

Thanks for all the information,
I just started my hobby duck farm this past Fall and appreciate all the knowledge I can absorb on the subject. The hardest lessons I learned have been in dealing with predators; mostly coyote, raccoon, and bobcat at the expense of too many ducks.

Securing my ducks in an enclosed pen at dusk has prevented any further losses. I lost a duck as early as 8 pm one evening to a coyote. I have seen coyote and bobcat in the middle of the day, but have not lost any ducks during daylight hours.

A raccoon reached in through a 1" gap by the duck house door and grabbed a full sized duck by the neck one night. It ate whatever it could pull through the gap.

Learn to recognize the various footprints of predators. From there you can tell where they are coming from, where they are jumping the fence into your pasture, how many and at what time. I have traps and snares placed along their common paths. I haven't caught anything yet, but the footprints have been close. I'll feel bad having to shoot one of these animals, but not as bad as losing another duck. Speaking of which, I'm told once you shoot a predator, it may take a months before another predator moves in to take it's territory.

Rich

Thanks for all the information,
I just started my hobby duck farm this past Fall and appreciate all the knowledge I can absorb on the subject. The hardest lessons I learned have been in dealing with predators; mostly coyote, raccoon, and bobcat at the expense of too many ducks.

Securing my ducks in an enclosed pen at dusk has prevented any further losses. I lost a duck as early as 8 pm one evening to a coyote. I have seen coyote and bobcat in the middle of the day, but have not lost any ducks during daylight hours.

A raccoon reached in through a 1" gap by the duck house door and grabbed a full sized duck by the neck one night. It ate whatever it could pull through the gap.

Learn to recognize the various footprints of predators. From there you can tell where they are coming from, where they are jumping the fence into your pasture, how many and at what time. I have traps and snares placed along their common paths. I haven't caught anything yet, but the footprints have been close. I'll feel bad having to shoot one of these animals, but not as bad as losing another duck. Speaking of which, I'm told once you shoot a predator, it may take a months before another predator moves in to take it's territory.

Rich
Not sure on the predator thing seems we have families of them here. but glad you have a handle on everything now, we sure can't let our guard down for one minute. Your ducks are gorgeous too. and
welcome-byc.gif

Are there any diagrams of duck anatomy out there? I've heard that ducks don't lay eggs from the same vent out of which they poop. I've got duck books galore and did a google search, but am not finding any diagram that shows a second hole for egg laying or any hole at all on a duck. Is there a second hole for egg laying? I found a decent bird diagram which shows a cloaca and below that toward the feet a cecum. Is this the same in ducks? Which does what?

Are there any diagrams of duck anatomy out there? I've heard that ducks don't lay eggs from the same vent of which they poop. I've got duck books galore and did a google search, but am not finding any diagram that shows a second hole for egg laying or any hole at all on a duck. Is there a second hole for egg laying? I found a decent bird diagram which shows a cloaca and below that toward the feet a cecum. Is this the same in ducks? Which does what?

Not sure where you would have heard that all bird anatomy is basically the same. Eggs, feces, and urine exit the body through the cloaca. Cecum are blond outpockets of the intestines.

Clint

I heard it on BYC actually. Then did research. Couldn't find anything backing it up, so I asked.

- what is the puffy area (?)below the cloaca on a 4-day old duckling? Is that the umbilical connection? I thought the umbilical was through the cloaca?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom