Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
I bought day-olds, all girls. There was a 90% guarantee, so a possibility of a drake with my order for ten runners, but they were 100% female.

Sometimes in a hatch, you'll have way too many drakelings. Some folks, who raise ducks for meat, would just process the extra drakes for food. Some of us are more pet-oriented.

Okay, a couple questions about my growing ducks:

-they're 4 1/2 weeks old; when do most of you folks move them outside permanently? Ours are currently outside during the day, in a temporary structure.

-I've got the impression that ducks are harder to train as regards going to their coop at night, than chickens are. What kind of advice would anybody have for working through this? Does a few days locked in their new coop get it set in their little minds and after that free ranging is good?

Can't necessarily answer that. I kept mine in the coop for 2 weeks, then had to herd them in. They're MUCH easier to herd than chickens. Just carry a long stick and wave opposite where you want them to go. Don' t wave it over their heads, they'll freak, and don't hit them with it.

I tried herding the chickens in once. It took an hour. There was a dog roaming. Now I just grab a handful of sunflower seeds - no herding necessary.

I bought day-olds, all girls. There was a 90% guarantee, so a possibility of a drake with my order for ten runners, but they were 100% female.

Sometimes in a hatch, you'll have way too many drakelings. Some folks, who raise ducks for meat, would just process the extra drakes for food. Some of us are more pet-oriented.
ok thanks, so did you go to a store and get them or over mail? i think i'll go with just getting ducklings, but i have no stores near me that sell ducklings, so over postage be fine??

ok thanks, so did you go to a store and get them or over mail? i think i'll go with just getting ducklings, but i have no stores near me that sell ducklings, so over postage be fine??
As it turned out, since I wanted runners and there were no sources nearby (I looked and looked), I chose a good hatchery that was within a day's drive. Then I found out I could not pick up my order, they would mail them. Okay. When the ducklings arrived, they were posted from Chula Vista, California. I live on the other side of the continent. They were all fine, by the way. Hard to believe fifteen littles fit in that box! But they were okay, all made it to maturity (four were for a friend of mine). I did lose two - one I think may have been hardware disease or oviduct problems, and one definitely was egg yolk peritonitis. Everyone else is doing great, still, four years later.

As it turned out, since I wanted runners and there were no sources nearby (I looked and looked), I chose a good hatchery that was within a day's drive. Then I found out I could not pick up my order, they would mail them. Okay. When the ducklings arrived, they were posted from Chula Vista, California. I live on the other side of the continent. They were all fine, by the way. Hard to believe fifteen littles fit in that box! But they were okay, all made it to maturity (four were for a friend of mine). I did lose two - one I think may have been hardware disease or oviduct problems, and one definitely was egg yolk peritonitis. Everyone else is doing great, still, four years later.
cool thanks for the help!

My luckie she is getting so big

Back
Top Bottom