Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
The black duck is a Cayuga not a Blue Swedish. Swedish always have a white bib.
O.K. so Ideal Poultry shafted me on the breed order that I made. At least all my Khaki's have the right coloring and appear to be Khaki's. The other two "Blue Swedish" are actually a mottled grey and white. God only knows what they sold me. Last time I will ever order from them.

Brand new to all this and it was all of a sudden because I rescued my duckling from an interstate! I've read up alot of information but want to make sure I'm doing all this right! It(don't know gender, just call him nugget!)has a nice tote box with heat lamp with water and feed. I'm guessing age is roughly 3-4 weeks old? Should I get him a duckling friend? Or any other advice on how to raise this little one? Thanks all!!

The poultry gods have a special place in there hearts for those that rescue little ducklings. If possible try to get and post a picture of Nugget so that the group can make more accurate suggestions...and ooh and aah over him. Now, first, I don't know where you are located but if he is 3-4 weeks old he may not need any additional heat. You will have to play that by ear. Have it ready just in case but only use it if he seems cold. Mine went outside at 4 weeks and I am located in West Central Texas. The weather at that time was fluctuating between 20 degrees and 80 degrees. Next, yes, if possible, get at least one additional duck. Try for close to the same age. There is a reason that they are called flocks and gaggles and that all has to do with being relatively social birds. They enjoy another for companionship and someone else to chatter with. Make sure that you use a good duck food (which you probably can't find) or a balanced Poultry feed for growing at this point. Purina Flock Raiser is what I have been feeding my mixed flock of chickens, ducks and geese. If you use just a chick starter make sure it has the right nutritional content for ducks (don't trust the school kid clerk at Tractor Supply to know the correct balance of nutrition) or add Brewers Yeast to the food to help Nugget grow strong.

Good luck with your little duck. He is a lucky little guy to have found you.

Here is little Nugget trying to fall asleep on me earlier. I am located in Central Illinois but I had him in an air conditioned house overnight to make sure I can keep an eye on him for now, so that's why I used the heat lamp. And I found a non-medicated duckling/chick crumb to use and he's been eating it real good! (can tell by the way he has been pooping! haha) im not at home right now but ill post a pic of the bag to show you to see if I need to add anything to it. He does have a little cut on his leg but seems to be healing great already!

The long story to how I rescued him goes like this: I was going down the interstate and seen them trying to cross (about 5 ducklings and a momma) I pulled over as soon as I could and ran out of the car to see if there was an way to save any of them. I shooed the momma and one duckling off to the side where there was water and tall grass. I tried to get traffic over but that's hard to do on a 70mph interstate. I got 3 off the highway but for the last one left, it was already too late :'( well the other two were injured pretty badly that they didn't make it either :'( I tried finding momma to reunite her with her baby but her and the first duckling had ran off already. so by that point, my adrenaline was coming down and I just start balling like a little baby. (I have like the BIGGEST heart for all animals). So I'm trying to gain as much information on this little guy to raise him.

I keep saying him but I have absolutely no idea what the gender is. I was told to wait until it's older and you can tell by how rough or high their noises are? We shall see! Thanks for the info!

You are this little guys hero!!! You are doing everything right. Just check the bag of feed. It should indicate if there are any supplements that you need to add or not. If it is specifically formulated for ducks it should be alright without additives. Make sure he/she has access to food and water at all times. Get a little cuddle toy (stuffed duck or teddy bear) for it to cuddle with. Put an unbreakable mirror in with it so that it can see itself and think it has company. If possible, get another duck for companionship. BEWARE ducks are very messy. They will splash as much water as they can around their pen. It takes about 20 minutes for what they eat to exit as something really messy. You will need to clean their home frequently (I had to clean up after mine two or three time a day before they went outside). Lots of human interaction will comfort the little guy but will also imprint you with him/her. A playmate will help and it does not matter really if it is male or female. If you end up with a mating pair then you may end up with a flock in the future. If you end up with two males they will be lifetime buddies as will two females. Make sure he stays out of drafts especially if he gets wet. It will still be a couple of weeks before he can water proof himself so if you let him swim (in a shallow container...maybe one or two inches of water) be sure to dry him and keep him warm afterwords. You are doing a great job. Good luck with you new family member. Will he/they have an outside area in the future? If so, you need to take into consideration predator protection. Not just the raccoon's, skunks and hawks and snakes I have around my farm but cats and dogs and especially small children if you are more urban.

Hi all please help its day 27 and i am on lockdown on my abandoned mallard duck egg there is still no internal pip yet he's too comfy in there is there anything I can do? What should I do if he's still didn't pip by tomorrow?
Ducks don't necessarily keep the same time line as us so don't get in a hurry and think you have to help it. Just don't panic. lol it may not start even on day 28 the temps in your bator can affect when hatching will start.He won't be able to stay comfy in there because he's getting too big so just be patient..
wink.png

I wouldn't mind getting a second one..just have to get approval from my partner and to actually find one this time of year. Until then, ill have to find a stuffed ducky and put in a small mirror. I have already figured out the messy part in just the 24 hours ive had him! I have plenty of extra fleece blankets for bedding, is that okay for him? And im not living in a permanent place as of right now, but im looking into a more permanent place and considering an outside area. I will look up ways for predator protection when that time comes closer. Ive noticed that wen he poops, he still has a lot on him ...is that normal? and shud I wipe it off or let him clean himself?

I wouldn't mind getting a second one..just have to get approval from my partner and to actually find one this time of year. Until then, ill have to find a stuffed ducky and put in a small mirror. I have already figured out the messy part in just the 24 hours ive had him! I have plenty of extra fleece blankets for bedding, is that okay for him? And im not living in a permanent place as of right now, but im looking into a more permanent place and considering an outside area. I will look up ways for predator protection when that time comes closer. Ive noticed that wen he poops, he still has a lot on him ...is that normal? and shud I wipe it off or let him clean himself?
Duckling hatching all over the place best time to find them. he can't really clean himself unless he can get into water other than preening his feathers, so if you can give him some tub time with just enough water to cover his legs at first he'll take to a bath like well a duck to water. make sure the water is warm and don't let it get cool or he may chill. Then pat dry and back under heat lamp to finish drying. The blankets are good or old clean towel both can be shaken out and washed and reused. eventually you'll want to switch to pine shaving which soak up poo better than anything else out there. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711 Have you read this?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom