Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
Well they all got here just fine. A day early but at least I didn't have to wait. I have decided to brood indoors where I can control the temp better. It is supposed to be 98 today and I am just afraid they would get too warm otherwise. There are 18 total, three males and 15 females. Two are crested. All seem to be in great health, not fearful at all and full of energy. They are very friendly and kept trying to crawl up onto me while I put them in the brood pen. They all started drinking and eating right away so they may actually be older that a day but that is just fine with me. Everyone please pray for their good health and speedy growth. In a few weeks (5-6) they will join the six adult ducks that we already have. After a week or two indoors they will move out to the duck pen where they will be in a stall set up just for them and they will be able to see and hear the adults and vice-a-versa which, I hope, will make integrating them easier when the time comes.
Very cute. Will keep fingers crossed they are healthy for you :) thy look like they are!

Well they all got here just fine. A day early but at least I didn't have to wait. I have decided to brood indoors where I can control the temp better. It is supposed to be 98 today and I am just afraid they would get too warm otherwise. There are 18 total, three males and 15 females. Two are crested. All seem to be in great health, not fearful at all and full of energy. They are very friendly and kept trying to crawl up onto me while I put them in the brood pen. They all started drinking and eating right away so they may actually be older that a day but that is just fine with me.

Everyone please pray for their good health and speedy growth. In a few weeks (5-6) they will join the six adult ducks that we already have. After a week or two indoors they will move out to the duck pen where they will be in a stall set up just for them and they will be able to see and hear the adults and vice-a-versa which, I hope, will make integrating them easier when the time comes.

Do you have drakes?

Three of the ducklings are sexed as male (eventual drakes) of the 15 females there is a 90% accuracy in sexing so there could be another male in the mix I suppose. Of the six adults I have currently two are Drakes (one Khaki Campbell and one Blue Swedish). I have adult female Cayuga, Khaki Campbell and Blue Swedish. Eventually, depending on survival, I do plan on breeding the Cayuga flock but that is still a ways away.

Three of the ducklings are sexed as male (eventual drakes) of the 15 females there is a 90% accuracy in sexing so there could be another male in the mix I suppose. Of the six adults I have currently two are Drakes (one Khaki Campbell and one Blue Swedish). I have adult female Cayuga, Khaki Campbell and Blue Swedish. Eventually, depending on survival, I do plan on breeding the Cayuga flock but that is still a ways away.

I'm not so sure they should go in that soon the drakes might try breed them or kill them.

Last edited:
Help! My duck just pooped this frothy white stuff ! What could cause that. It seems to be just fine , running around eating drinking just like all the other ones( we have six and they are almost three weeks old) we have them with chicks that are a month old. They have a duck and chicken raiser feed with niacin added to it. They get fresh water every day. What could be happening?!

White is actually how they pee. I wouldn't stress over it.. LOL

Yes, this is the one I saved. She (?) is in a very good home now! Can anyone tell me yes or no to the female mallard part?
Looks a lot like she could be a female Mallard. Give her a little more time to fully feather out as and adult and she might develop blue tips to her wings. If so, then almost definitely female Mallard. I am glad she is in a good place. She had a bit of a rough start to life and was lucky you came along. Now she has a chance that she might not have otherwise had. You might want to think about the possible release into the wild during migration this year. She may not want to go but if she does you really should allow her the choice.

Back
Top Bottom