Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
Quote:
I know she came from the wild, but don't you think being well fed will keep her here? I thought I had read that "farm" ducks are usually so well fed that they can't fly away when migration time comes around.

CG
All of mine flew away.

-Kathy
Sorry, guess I was mis-informed.

CG
Not saying they'll all fly away, just that all of mine have. If you want to keep her around, clip her wings, but make sure to keep her in a predator proof enclosure if you do.

-Kathy

Last edited:
We have a free range duck (a duck we have raised) that just had 4 hatchling between yesterday and today. Is it safe to handle the ducklings right away, or will it cause the mother to harm them? She is allowing us near the nest.

Last edited:
Hello there , I recieved 4 Muscovy ducklings yesterday as a sweet gift from a dear friend and I'm in love! I have them in a straw lined tote in my master bath with the heat in the bathroom on. Should this be warm enough for them? I also fashioned a chick waterer out of a gallon milk jug as earlier in the thread suggested. At what age do you expose them to swimming water? I haven't done this yet as I'm not sure of their age and was told not to let them get wet. Thanks a million. I love this thread!

Congratulations!

I will let Muscovy people advise, but with ducklings it may seem confusing at first about water. On the one hand, you do not want them to stay wet, or their bedding to get soaked (there are ways to prevent that).

On the other hand, it is good for them to have splash time in clean water - better for their health, actually.

I had my runners splashing around in warm water in a cake pan at two or three days old.

But we made sure they dried themselves off right afterward.

Thanks! I plan to keep them in the house with me for a while so I may venture to the splash time with them :) never thought I'd be keeping hay in my bathroom a week ago. Haha I do it because it's convenient for changing out the wet hay around the waterer .

Back
Top Bottom