Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
Just hatched today
smile.png

New duck mommy. I have 2 buffs and 1 khaki females. I have one khaki drake. All the females started laying eggs a few weeks ago in the middle of winter here in Idaho. We are at a steady 10 degrees with not much hope for warmer weather. My question is, when do I bring the eggs/baby ducklings inside so they won't die from the cold? It is too cold and they won't survive outside. I don't have enough room to put a heat lamp inside coop safely. I have set up a brooder in a spare room. I realize the moms will be sad if I take them immediately, but I know they will freeze out there. When do I remove them? As they are hatching? Wait until they have completely hatch?

New duck mommy. I have 2 buffs and 1 khaki females. I have one khaki drake. All the females started laying eggs a few weeks ago in the middle of winter here in Idaho. We are at a steady 10 degrees with not much hope for warmer weather. My question is, when do I bring the eggs/baby ducklings inside so they won't die from the cold? It is too cold and they won't survive outside. I don't have enough room to put a heat lamp inside coop safely. I have set up a brooder in a spare room. I realize the moms will be sad if I take them immediately, but I know they will freeze out there. When do I remove them? As they are hatching? Wait until they have completely hatch?
I'd take them as they hatch because just to much can go wrong while mom is still sitting ducklings can get themselves into all kinds of trouble and with cold weather they would be in danger of freezing pretty fast. So your girls are brooding on the eggs already?

Yes one of the buffs is. We had sudden freeze in beginning of November then it got too warm some temps up ro 67 right after the freeze. I think they might have been physically confused about the weather and started laying on December 17th. the others left eggs ti freeze. We had to toss them. They were cracked. I would have 15 eggs. thus far.

Back
Top Bottom