Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
Hey all!

I'm expecting a shipment of ducklings on the 11th of February, and I'm wondering if you guys could help me figure out if I have everything I need. I have:

*brooder - my old chinchilla cage with high solid walls and tiny openings that the cats can't fit their paws in, large enough for the first few weeks at least
*heat lamp - can easily clamp on the cage
*chick waterer and feeder from TSC
*pine shavings
*brewers yeast - left over from when my fiancé brews his own wine, lol
*sav-a-chick brand electrolyte and probiotic supplements to add in their water (can these be used with the Brewers yeast?)
*starter feed - I don't have it yet because I didn't want to get it so soon and have it be old or outdated when they got here, but I know where to get it

And that's it so far. Anything else I should get?
Chick water will only work for about a week are you going to make a couple of the homemade ones like in the caring for ducklings thread? I don't see a problem using the BY with the vitamins.I would only use the electrolytes daily for the first 2-3 days then cut back to a couple times a week then down to 1X a week use the BY till 10 weeks old.

I don't see thermometer on your list

I have a large pond with two male mallards. They seem somewhat domesticated since they come up to us when we get home and beg for food. They stay only in our large yard and pond other than walking next door occasionally. We would like to get them some females, but I'm not sure if we can raise female ducks and introduce them to these more wild males. We have lived here for year and a half and the males will now eat out of my hand.

Welcome to BYC. I have 1 Mallard drake and 4 hens. I raised them from day old ducklings. I don't think you will have a problem. Most of my domestic Mallards are too heavy to fly very far. They usually fly less than 100 ft and they only get 3-4 ft off of the ground. The smallest hen will get 8-10 feet off of the ground but she still doesn't fly far. She can fly higher than my 6 ft fence but she flies in a semicircle and lands back in the pen. Good luck on yours.

Last edited:
Chick water will only work for about a week are you going to make a couple of the homemade ones like in the caring for ducklings thread?  I don't see a problem using the BY with the vitamins.I would only use the electrolytes daily for the first 2-3 days then cut back to a couple times a week then down to 1X a week use the BY till 10 weeks old.

I don't see thermometer on your list

Oh yeah, I have that too, lol. I just forgot. And yeah, I have containers that I can make bigger waterers from. Thanks for the info =]

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I have that too, lol. I just forgot. And yeah, I have containers that I can make bigger waterers from. Thanks for the info =]
thumbsup.gif
now for the ducklings!!!

Could I possibly not feed my ducks grain feed?
My yard is a good size and they would have access to the garden to eat the pests but I'm wondering what and how much I would have to supplement their diet with if I were to not feed them regular
commercial feed.
I'm also planning on getting a gosling or two but our grass is sort of dry and tough.
Any advice is greatly appreciated :D

Could I possibly not feed my ducks grain feed?
My yard is a good size and they would have access to the garden to eat the pests but I'm wondering what and how much I would have to supplement their diet with if I were to not feed them regular
commercial feed.
I'm also planning on getting a gosling or two but our grass is sort of dry and tough.
Any advice is greatly appreciated
big_smile.png
Welcome to BYC! Probably a good idea to feed them something like Purina Flock Raiser.

-Kathy

It's duckling day! Sadly, the buff duckling I ordered was DOA, but the other five are alright. The smaller of the two cayugas seemed lethargic and inactive, but with a little help started drinking and eating and perking up. I called Metzer and they are going to replace the buff, and I ordered a blue Swedish to be shipped with her, but they won't be here until the beginning of March. That means I'll have two groups of ducklings of different ages, which is something I hadn't planned on. I know they can't be mixed together, since their ages will be so different, but I'll think of something. In the meanwhile, I'm going to keep a close eye on the little Cayuga and enjoy the cuteness. Because OMG I knew ducklings were cute, but seriously. I might die of cuteness overload. I have to go to work in a couple hours but luckily my fiancé will be here soon to watch them. Then I have two whole days off with my duckies =]

Oh, question! I have two brands of yeast and am not sure if it matters which one I use in their water: Fleuschmann's Active Dry yeast or Lalvin K1-V1116 wine yeast. I'm thinking the latter might be better, since I know for sure its used for brewing and not baking. Any thoughts?

Definitely not baker's yeast, no, no.

Brewer's yeast. I am not sure if the Lalvin fits the bill - it might . . . . but I think the brewer's yeast for feeding may be different than for wine making - so hold off till you are absolutely sure.

What is good for free rage ducks especaily indian white fawn ducks to nest in or a good habatat? Im considering getting indian runner duckling or hatching own.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom