Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
My daughter brought home these 2 babies from a poultry show today.
She was told they are black cayuga ducklings.
Can anyone guess how old they are? They both ate & drank right away...i have them in a cage in her bedroom which is around 75* (no ac) do i need to keep a heat lamp on them too?

I wonder if they could be Black Swedish?they look like they have bibs.

AprilMisc057.jpg
Found this pic of Black Swedish duckling here on BYC what do you think?

Last edited:
I've got these little rescued ducks, anywhere between 2 and 3 weeks old, I'm now thinking. Up until now, I've been this scary human that holds them captive while taking care of them. Even though still frightened, the Muscovy ducklings came around pretty quick, but the other two have been a bit more cautious, especially the Mallard. Tonight though, there was a shift. They wanted to fall asleep in my arms tonight, not in the brooder. It was like trying to get a bunch of 3 year olds to bed. I'd put them in the brooder - they'd squawk and try to get out. I take them out, and they ran all over the place, doing laps around me, and using my legs as an obstacle to jump over and through. I just sat there waiting for them to settle down, which they eventually did. Then they'd hop up on my lap and bury their faces and settle in - for a minute - and then, up and run about again. Every time I'd try to put them in the brooder, they'd squawk. Every time I went to leave, they'd chirp wildly. So I sat and they di their 3 year old antics for a solid hour before finally settling down. When they did, I made them up a bed, outside of the brooder, and put them in. Then I laid down next to them with the light off for a minute before leaving - I laid on the floor for rowdy ducklings :hmm. Honestly, I've never heard of such things. Is this typical of baby ducks?

Back
Top Bottom