Raising angora rabbits for wool?

For what it's worth-
I have a French Angora, and I do spin her coat, though I do blend it with a wool (generally a Merino or Rambouillet) as the Angora fiber is slick and doesn't hold a twist nearly as well on it's own. The French sheds (blows) the coat 3 times a year. No shearing is needed, but that's not to say that you can't shear them. English, Satin, and German Angoras don't shed the same as French, and do require shearing at least 1x / year. Longer fiber is preferred for spinning.
Personally, I don't want to try shearing and accidentally cut a teat off. Not sure which of us would be more traumatized should that happen.
I use her fiber for my own uses, although selling was thought of originally. To sell, the rabbit needs to be well groomed very regularly (1-3x/week), and the fiber should be laying all in the same direction (easier to do when shearing). Being so fine and soft, it is like trying to collect dandelion fluff. If you do sell it, it is sold by the ounce, and white is the primary color. I don't think selling the fiber fully compensates the cost of feed, or the time spent in grooming.
I bred my doe for the first time and am expecting kits in 2 weeks. She was bred to a Champagne d'Argent since she is my only Angora. Looking forward to seeing what coat develops with that match.

Back
Top Bottom