Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics

orrpeople

Grading essays - be back soon!
6 Years
Jun 15, 2016
State of Jefferson
Hatchalongs are fabulous! But, now what? And, what if you got a box of chicks in the mail? What if you picked up some little chooks from a breeder or farm store? Now what??? Hey, let's raise some lil' ones together!! I have chicks overflowing the farm right now, and would love to exchange ideas for brooding, feeding, transitioning, flock integration, health concerns, and pictures -LOTS of pictures!!
Here's a pic of one of my brooders - this one is a produce box from Costco (organic onions to be exact) with a heating pad system for warmth. These are Silverudd's Blues and 55 Flowery Hens.
20170524_092142.jpg

Hatchalongs are fabulous! But, now what? And, what if you got a box of chicks in the mail? What if you picked up some little chooks from a breeder or farm store? Now what??? Hey, let's raise some lil' ones together!! I have chicks overflowing the farm right now, and would love to exchange ideas for brooding, feeding, transitioning, flock integration, health concerns, and pictures -LOTS of pictures!!
Here's a pic of one of my brooders - this one is a produce box from Costco (organic onions to be exact) with a heating pad system for warmth. These are Silverudd's Blues and 55 Flowery Hens.
View attachment 1041064

EXCELLENT idea!!! Thanks for creating the thread! I'll share something I did to my brooders because I noticed the babies wanted to roost on the long tray feeder, which made a mess and wasted food!

I had my husband drill holes in my brooder tubs and I inserted rods from an old laundry drying rack (you could use dowels etc).

IMG_3319.JPG
IMG_3320.JPG

oops sorry I didn't notice your post, great idea! one of my chicks keep jumping to the edge of the brooder (the edge is about 4 inches thick) and she just sits up there! I think she thinks it is her roost.

oops sorry I didn't notice your post, great idea! one of my chicks keep jumping to the edge of the brooder (the edge is about 4 inches thick) and she just sits up there! I think she thinks it is her roost.

I've had to put screen over my brooders as they are 4 weeks old now and want to fly out and see the world...LOL! I'm not quite ready for them to do that yet!

haha, I hope mine don't start to try to escape

LOL...give them time...

I was getting ready to clean their brooder out last night and was transferring them to the holding tub and while I had my back turned to put one in the tub one of them flew up and was sitting in the rim of the tub when I turned around! She was like...so...this is what the world looks like...I think I'm scared!!!! She didn't put up a fuss when I grabbed her and put her with her sisters! Silly bird!

Back
Top Bottom