Raising Baby Chick-Along

orrpeople

Grading essays - be back soon!
Jun 15, 2016
State of Jefferson
Hatchalongs are fabulous! But, now what? And, what if you got a box of chicks in the mail? What if you picked up some little chooks from a breeder or farm store? Now what??? Hey, let's raise some lil' ones together!! I have chicks overflowing the farm right now, and would love to exchange ideas for brooding, feeding, transitioning, flock integration, health concerns, and pictures -LOTS of pictures!!
Here's a pic of one of my brooders - this one is a produce box from Costco (organic onions to be exact) with a heating pad system for warmth. These are Silverudd's Blues and 55 Flowery Hens.
20170524_092142.jpg

CABINHOLLOWNC

Songster
May 5, 2017
Western North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
Hatchalongs are fabulous! But, now what? And, what if you got a box of chicks in the mail? What if you picked up some little chooks from a breeder or farm store? Now what??? Hey, let's raise some lil' ones together!! I have chicks overflowing the farm right now, and would love to exchange ideas for brooding, feeding, transitioning, flock integration, health concerns, and pictures -LOTS of pictures!!
Here's a pic of one of my brooders - this one is a produce box from Costco (organic onions to be exact) with a heating pad system for warmth. These are Silverudd's Blues and 55 Flowery Hens.
View attachment 1041064
EXCELLENT idea!!! Thanks for creating the thread! I'll share something I did to my brooders because I noticed the babies wanted to roost on the long tray feeder, which made a mess and wasted food!

I had my husband drill holes in my brooder tubs and I inserted rods from an old laundry drying rack (you could use dowels etc).

IMG_3319.JPG
IMG_3320.JPG

Burbs03

Chirping
Mar 8, 2017
oops sorry I didn't notice your post, great idea! one of my chicks keep jumping to the edge of the brooder (the edge is about 4 inches thick) and she just sits up there! I think she thinks it is her roost.

CABINHOLLOWNC

Songster
May 5, 2017
Western North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
oops sorry I didn't notice your post, great idea! one of my chicks keep jumping to the edge of the brooder (the edge is about 4 inches thick) and she just sits up there! I think she thinks it is her roost.
I've had to put screen over my brooders as they are 4 weeks old now and want to fly out and see the world...LOL! I'm not quite ready for them to do that yet!

CABINHOLLOWNC

Songster
May 5, 2017
Western North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
haha, I hope mine don't start to try to escape
LOL...give them time...

I was getting ready to clean their brooder out last night and was transferring them to the holding tub and while I had my back turned to put one in the tub one of them flew up and was sitting in the rim of the tub when I turned around! She was like...so...this is what the world looks like...I think I'm scared!!!! She didn't put up a fuss when I grabbed her and put her with her sisters! Silly bird!

Burbs03

Chirping
Mar 8, 2017
Aww, that's sooooo cute :rolleyes: mine is like uh oh :eek: when i find her and she jumps back in. She is an Araucana so she is very flighty, once i found her sister completely outside of the brooder!

Top Bottom