Raising Baby Chick-Along

My August hatch guineas are finally in the hoop coop.
20171111_141323.jpg

Sooo many babies! They are adorable and lucky that they have such a good mama. Thanks to your pics, I will be drilling holes for dowels tomorrow. I think this batch of 5 chicks is the most energetic I have ever gotten. My oldest chick is just about 1 week and already an escape artist. I think she has springs in those little legs.

I am feeling very sad there are no little chicks running around, and there is no plan for any little chicks to run around. I FAILED miserably in selling the last 10 batches of chicks - mainly because I never really tried. Now I can't move the grow outs into the pens, because I don't want overcrowding. So, I still have 7 pens, rather than 4. Way too much work. I think I need to EXPAND!!!!

Building a run "expansion" for my second batch of baby chix. They are a tad over crowded as my dad was supposed to take 8-10 of this chick order and he started getting neighbor complaints when the ladies lay eggs. So I still have the total batch of 16. Already have another 10 besides in a separate coop. They seem very curious as I start getting close to finishing. My other 10 starting free ranging. They seem peeved they are not yet. They are 2 months old. I know they are not too young but I have 2 roosters. Who are um... vigorous. I worry this will be a bit much. Anyone have separate flocks, but let them all free during the day together? I worry the boys will hurt them.

Does it depend on the rooster. Should I separate until they reach maturity? We just started letting them all out loose so this is a bit new for us

They are a little over 2 months. But just seem so much smaller than my bigger flock. I thought I read somewhere on here about rooster hurting smaller pullet's vent causing issues laying eggs. Of course I cannot find it. Am I over thinking it?
If I have runts, I'll give them a little more time. It's guess work at best... Are they big enough to hold their own?

If I have runts, I'll give them a little more time. It's guess work at best... Are they big enough to hold their own?
I would say yes. I have 4 I would say are not as bold. I think I am going to spend a bit more time observing this week. And take the top few and add to the other flock. Having the flock separated is so much extra work.
I plan on building a chicken barn in spring. But I am guessing it will need a divider in the middle so these flocks can live side by side for a while. I should write something like "how not to start your chicken journey"

I would say yes. I have 4 I would say are not as bold. I think I am going to spend a bit more time observing this week. And take the top few and add to the other flock. Having the flock separated is so much extra work.
I plan on building a chicken barn in spring. But I am guessing it will need a divider in the middle so these flocks can live side by side for a while. I should write something like "how not to start your chicken journey"
LOL...we all learn as we go no matter how long you have had chickens:D

Back
Top Bottom