Raising Baby Chick-Along

Hope your Houdini hen comes back enough to where you can clip her wings as well. Good luck!

Success! I managed to toss a bucket across the yard with just the right velocity and trajectory to scare her back over the fence this morning. :lau Hopefully she will follow the others back into the coop this evening and I will be able to get my hands on her so that I can clip her wing. That activity should provide lots of amusement for my neighbors!

My August hatch chicks are growing up!

Very pretty! The SS is my absolute favorite breed; they are so beautiful, sweet, and personable.

EXCELLENT idea!!! Thanks for creating the thread! I'll share something I did to my brooders because I noticed the babies wanted to roost on the long tray feeder, which made a mess and wasted food!

I had my husband drill holes in my brooder tubs and I inserted rods from an old laundry drying rack (you could use dowels etc).

View attachment 1041091 View attachment 1041094
Thanks so much for posting these pics! You have shown me a great way to build a perch for my 5 week old silkies! I'm so excited to add this to their broader. Super cute chicks btw!!!

Thanks so much for posting these pics! You have shown me a great way to build a perch for my 5 week old silkies! I'm so excited to add this to their broader. Super cute chicks btw!!!
Thanks! All of the littles love the roosting bars! My latest littles were trying to use them at just a couple days old! It looked more like tightrope walking and was hilarious to watch!

20171121_175420.jpg
20171120_202147.jpg
20171121_172853.jpg
My latest pictures of my solar water heater with poo powered back up.

Thank you and thank you SO much for such a quick reply! Funny you mention enjoying my birds - I JUST told my husband that I just want to be able cuddle them in the way I'd dreamed of when I decided to get Silkies! It's been all worry so far!

My littlest babe has a few spots that probably could be considered bald but in researching and looking at other pictures of Silkie chicks, it seems to be more of a transition from the the fuzzy-buff to feathers, as it's uniform (if it's on one side of the top, inside area of one wing, the other side looks identical - if that made any sense at all! ;) )

I bought a small, square dog dish (large for a dog dish but not too deep) with thick/wide sides so they could pirch if they wanted....it'll fit in their brooder but will definitely take up about a third of it. Would you suggest trying to just push bedding out of the way and create a corner or use something like what I have? I've watched them attempt to dust bathe with the shavings a few times! Then they take terms "helpin' a chick out" and picking the shavings off each other. Poor babes!

Again, thank you so much for your response!
No problem, i hang out on BYC way too much! Yeah, you could put the dust bath dish in there. You can always take it out later if you want to.
Good luck with your birds!

Back
Top Bottom