Raising Barred Rocks & Dorkings together; Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hatrick, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    We currently have three Barred Rock hens and one rooster, the plan was to raise these as our only breed for meat and eggs, however after reading up on the taste of the Barred Rock at the table we're second guessing this and thinking about starting a flock of Dorkings instead.
    Since we've never had a flock with a rooster before I'm wondering, should we get rid of our Barred Rock roo completely and just have a Dorking roo?
    Will that rooster breed with our Barred Rock hens?
    Is that a big problem if they do?
    If we keep the Barred Rock roo and set up a Dorking flock will they keep to themselves if they free range?
    Any general thoughts or advice on Dorkings would be appreciated as well.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. Hatrick

Apr 4, 2009
    Ugh, no replies yet? Did I ask stupid questions? I thought there were no stupid questions... [​IMG]

3. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    A rooster will mate with all and any breed of chicken, It's really no problem except if you hatch the eggs you'll get mutts. And if you free range them together they will most likely range together.

4. capayvalleychick

capayvalleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    You might try actually tasting some of your BR and see if you like them before adding another breed.

I raise Delawares and Dorkings and both breeds have good tasting meat. The Delaware is made with the BR, so I'm wondering why it wouldn't also be good tasting.

If you mix the breeds together, the result might not be as good tasting as either purebred.
    Dorking roos are fairly passive and will get beat up by the BR roo if you try to have both breeds, so you would have to either have one breed or keep them separate.

I don't know where you are located but good Dorkings can be very hard to find. I think that it would be easier for you to stick with what you have, unless you absolutely do not like the BR.

Kim

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Good Shepherd Poultry sells meat and they have only a few breeds. Barred Rocks are one of them. They taste great!

6. Hatrick

Apr 4, 2009
    We do have access to some Dorking chicks from a local breeder. I had just read that Barred Rocks might be more of a stewing bird rather than a roasting bird. All we've ever eaten is store chicken so I was worried about it tasting too gamey. I guess we could give it a try. So do mutts always taste bad then? We're picking up a Sussex hen tomorrow.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

They ALL taste like chicken to me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by