raising best egg-layers to point of lay and selling

I still think it all will depend on the folks in your particular area, and the timing of your sales. There are some communities where few people keep chickens, others where most of the folks who do prefer to raise their own from chicks. But there are many people who don't want to deal with the extra care chicks require, or have predator-prone yards that are especially hazardous for chicks, or don't want to risk an incorrectly sexed chick and want to know for certain the sex of their bird, or who don't want to wait 20+ weeks for breakfast to arrive. And many of them can easily afford at least $20 for a point-of-lay hen.

When you consider the high prices people will pay for animals that are purely pets, who are merely decorative or amusing like aquarium fish or ferrets, not to mention the high prices some will pay for puppies & kittens, a $20 hen is an incredible deal!

Quote:
Good Point

I sell hatchery close to laying pullets for $15-$20 each and pullets from breeders stock I have hatched for $25-$50 each. I ALWAYS sell them and have had no problem with hagglers.
smile.png

But then again the most I have paid for a girl was $125 and I would pay more if I felt she was worth it.

If you are close to Seattle then market your home grown sweethearts to the uppity "organic" crowd. They have money to burn and are willing to snatch them at a premium price, you just have to get in front of their face: beautiful photos, cute descriptions, great with kids, and info on self sufficient benefits and you will be in business.

I say do it!

I'm one of those "uppity organic folks" who would buy a POL hen!
big_smile.png

The reason is simple: I want eggs now, or pretty soon. We just lost 6 chicks to a weasel, completely upped security on the coop and now are ready to just get on with it. In our case, I'd rather not wait another month for the next available hatch. It's not that I have more money to burn, it's just that I'd happily take on 6 new hens ($20 apiece) because it's truly a relative bargain, assuming they're healthy.

...but I'll probably still order another batch of chicks just to raise some to sell point-of-lay.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom