Raising Catfish in a barrel!! 11-03-2011 UPDATE!!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070825113054AAfpIla
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiosulfate

Sodium thiosulfate seems to be a common dechlorinator. It works by neuteralizing the chlorine into water, sulfer and gasses.

"Thiosulfate anions characteristically react with dilute acids to produce sulfur, sulfur dioxide and water:[2]"

So I would guess that it expels it though sulfur gas and turns it into water!
Thanks for the brain food!

old.gif

Got my aquaponics setup 4 weeks ago, just added some feeder goldfish to ensure the water was safe for fish. Plants are growing well. Want to get some catfish and maybe some tilapia.

Yes! I did get about 100 Tilapia fry last year. They are very large now and only have about 20 left. Most of them were eaten by the goldfish before I could catch them and get them out of the tank. I have not had them reproduce yet as I'm not able to keep the water in the 80's. I going to take a few of them out of the tank and put them in a 40 gal fish tank where I can control the temp and see if they will reproduce then. I do go saltwater fishing and it's been a good year so there has been no hurry to eat any of them....yet.

Yes! I did get about 100 Tilapia fry last year. They are very large now and only have about 20 left. Most of them were eaten by the goldfish before I could catch them and get them out of the tank. I have not had them reproduce yet as I'm not able to keep the water in the 80's. I going to take a few of them out of the tank and put them in a 40 gal fish tank where I can control the temp and see if they will reproduce then. I do go saltwater fishing and it's been a good year so there has been no hurry to eat any of them....yet.

Greatm
How big are the Tilapia now? They should breed when they are five inch long. What are you feeding them? Can you sex them yet? As I recall the males incubate the eggs.
JAC

Some of them are over 12" with most being over 9". They scare me half the time, splashing with their tails as I approach the tank. Feeding them some organic fish food from an aquaponics store.

Back
Top Bottom