Raising Chickens and Special Needs Kids

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Blooie, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Thank you for the kind words jessie. Nice story about the lab coats! That's great. :)

And yes, Blooie, if half the world could be as humble as the special needs children and people..it would be great. I'm not sure I am as humble as my son. I don't know exactly how he feels. I can't. He shows so much patience in so many ways..wish I had that!

1 person likes this.
  2. Calebs Chicks

Calebs Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    Central Florida
    Ummmmmm......Where have you been my entire life?!? I was just directed to you by another member, and (I am a new chic) am trying to figure out how to start a 4 H club or poultry club for disabled kids and adults!!

3. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Welcome! How is the newspaper circulation around there in these days. Of course it was better back in the day I had my son, but you can give that a try. They used to have special pages for this kind of thing.

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    That's a great idea, Cynthia!

@Calebs Chicks I used to teach dog obedience classes for 4-H, which was my only experience working with them. But if you haven't done so already, I think I'd start right there. I'd find out first of all if there already is a poultry program, and if there is I'd ask for a copy of their program. The first thing you'll have to do is look that over and see what modifications would have to be made for the special needs kids.

Second, I'd probably contact either your local news, like morning shows, or your local newspaper and ask them if they are aware of any existing programs, and then tell them what you hope to do. A little news coverage can go a long way toward getting maybe some chickens donated, or some assistants from therapists who believe in animal therapy (more of those out there than you might think!) and getting some fund raising done.

Oh, and don't forget another very important thing - be sure your community and the communities you hope to draw participants from ALLOW chickens....some don't. So switch the ordinance suggestion to the very top and do that one first!

Facebook! If you are a Facebook member, go to your town's page (most of them have one now) and extend some feelers.

Do a search right here on BYC for people in your area who might like to be involved, even if it's just offering the benefit of their experience or even a few birds to get you started. Just go to the search box and type in your state!

Now, this one might not make you happy, because if you are like me you get an idea and want to just jump in with both feet, looking for obstacles later. [​IMG] But you might need to be flexible enough to switch gears rather quickly, and decide which group you want to help first - kids or disabled adults. As you know, there's an age limit in 4-H. But the big reason is that no matter which group of lucky people you want to get started, it will take more out of you (and them) than working with "normal" (I HATE that word but I sat here staring at the computer waiting for it to give me a better one and it failed!) kids or adults. You have to be able to focus for the safety and confidence of the participants,and if you have too much to keep an eye on and too many different age groups that will be extremely difficult. So small groups would be better for you, and less likely to intimidate your son and the other kids if they are comfortable. The same is true of special needs adults!

I'm excited that you want to do this! Your son (I'm assuming that's Caleb?) is a lucky young man!!! And you know, there's nothing wrong with starting just with him out there, learning together as he gains confidence, before moving on to helping others. But I do think it's a very worthwhile dream.......my girls have bloomed out there with those silly chickens!!

5. Calebs Chicks

Apr 4, 2016
    Central Florida
    Just caught this thread after my lengthy earlier reply, and I agree that this maybe a good path to follow. Luckily; I already know that our area allows poultry, as well as town next over, although that suburban area has a limit on amount of backyard hens(4) and a restriction on roosters. (None!)
    And yes; I am jumping ahead and going to stretch out too far here if I am not careful. Going to stick to kids. That's where the greatest need is. As far as "normal" and "special" wordage goes....how about referring to them as "typical" ? That's what I do. Lol! Nothing typical about our special guys. Which adds more challenges, but still worth the effort.
    Awesome idea about using the media. I am not a face booker, although my DH is. But I am going to start with checking into 4H and the local poultry club. Got to start somewhere, and shoot yeah! Tap into that knowledge and plethora of resources!! [​IMG] You guys are great! Thanks again.
    Now! Off to gather phone numbers, and more info! CHARGE!!! - Crystal (Caleb's Mom)

6. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

7. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Oops, posted elsewhere but forgot to put it here. And I think I'll post a link to a super good place I found that answered so many questions for us!! Don't know if anyone would be interested or not, but just in case....

Guess I'd better fill you in a little bit here. Jenny just dropped Kendra off for the day and apparently when they got home last night there was a message on their answering machine with Kendra's surgery date.

So the three of us will be heading for Denver on May 30th. Kendra's surgery is scheduled for June 1st. They are doing both the Mitrofanoff and the ACE procedure at one time so they only have to do one operation to handle both issues. We don't have to stay down there for the 3 weeks like we thought.....they'll discharge Kendra after 7 days, send her home with waste bags attached, and then 3 weeks after discharge we'll take her back, have those drainage tubes removed and be taught how to use the catheters and do the colon cleanout. I feel so bad for Kendra. She's not going to understand any of this, and we can't explain to her that this thing won't hurt, or that thing will hurt for a minute but then it will be over.....being non-communicative when something this major is happening will be so hard on her.

http://punsonline.org/multimedia/files/2013/Bladder-Augmentations-Mitrofanoffs-and-Maces.pdf

8. Calebs Chicks

Apr 4, 2016
    Central Florida
    Blooie, so sorry that you and the family have to go through this, and No! It's not fair, and so difficult to experience when your non verbal child has to withstand a procedure. How old is Kendra again? I will pray that everything goes well, and smoothly!

9. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Kendra is 4 years old, and she's so doggone cute she makes my jaws ache from smiling!

[​IMG]
    One day while I was fixing her lunch, it suddenly got very quiet in the living room. I looked everywhere for her. I had shut all the doors to the rooms at the back of the house (we live in an old trailer house so there's just one long hallway) but I looked in them anyway. Didn't see her in Ken's office, she wasn't in the bedroom, and the bathroom door was open. Hmmm. I just thought I forgot to shut it last time I was in there. I peeked in and didn't see her and I was getting frantic. I looked one more time - and this time rather than just look in the bathroom I took a couple of steps into the bathroom.....and there she was, sitting on the toilet. I couldn't see her the first time because the toilet is kinda hidden from sight by the washer and dryer. She had one leg jammed down inside the bowl, in that cold, cold water, had our old plunger, and when I saw her she grinned at me and then started singing "Row, row, row your boat."

I ran and got my camera as fast as I could and snapped this before taking her out. I had to put an empty clothes basket in front of her, unjam her leg (and that took some manipulating!) and then plop her into the basket while I ran some warm bathwater! She wears something like Depends, and let me tell you, those things flat hold liquid - the level in the toilet dropped significantly when she was lifted out. That "diaper" weighed a ton. Her skin was like ice, but because she has no nerves in her feet and few in her legs, she barely noticed. She did appreciate the warm bath, though. And Gramma and Grampa put hook and eye locks up high on all the doors back there, too!

1 person likes this.
  10. Calebs Chicks

Apr 4, 2016
    Central Florida
    OH my! She is cute! And hysterical to boot! Lol! My Caleb thought for years the toilet was a marvelous contraption to flush odd things down! We referred to it as the magic wishing well for years.....now he just enjoys pouring my liquid soap down it to make it bubble on occasion when I'm preoccupied....lol! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by