Raising Chickens and Special Needs Kids

Pics

Gramma's little Divas!

Kendra, Miss Candida, and Lilly, Kendra's special helper.

Love this shot of Katie, surrounded by pink and polka-dots!

She's just so doggone cute!!

Oh, it was my pleasure! Anytime I get a chance to brag up my girls I'll take it!
lol.png

They only see her once every 6 months, and it's a whirlwind of MRIs on her ventricles, renal ultrasounds and tests, GI series, neurologists, neurosurgeons, and orthopedics. Jenny said today that they never even saw her walk without them. Grrrrr....that's why we are sending them these two video clips. They think just the plastic AFOs will be enough - this proves they are NOT!

The cables have to be so torqued that they've become dangerous. The bruising from the last time one of the steel cables snapped was just awful. You see how much correction she needs in her feet. It's because the bones in her lower legs are twisted from the knee down - have been since birth. We did the cradle braces (the ones that go between her legs and keep them apart) and we did two years of serial casting. In fact, because of Jenny's work schedule, I usually flew with Kendra to Salt Lake for her appointments there. In order to look back and tell how old she was when she had a new set of casts put on, we'd have them use different colors or combinations of colors each time they were changed. Kinda fun to look back on them now! The other issues with the cables is that they are pulling her knees so badly that they are beginning to have problems, and since her hips have always been marginal, her thighs and knees were perfect, they now have to weigh the disadvantages of the cables over the advantages. They spun the Roulette wheel. Kendra's losing. It's all so frustrating.

She's pretty agile through the hips and thighs...we don't want to lose that while trying to fix the feet.

Just getting on after quite a while..seeing the video and the photos..wow, what a difference. Richard had his removed too, can't remember the age now! He had the long white braces put on, that fit into his shoes. Kept his legs straight, and this photo? Oh yeah..I have photos of him sleeping with both legs up and his feet right by his ears. His hips weren't located at birth, had surgery for that when quite young. Could still bring those legs up after the surgery though.

Last edited:
Well, Richard was in another youtube video..with this gal...singing. Song is about dancing..he gets to buugy in his chair, around 1:19. Of course you will know when you see him, he's the one in the wheelchair. :p

I can't wait to get home and take a look. Right now I'm in Sheridan with Ken and vids are too hard for me to watch on this tiny phone screen. And I kinda like his beard!!

Thanks, he did one with her about a yr. ago too...there is also another person in this one with spina bifida..she is walking with the arm crutches..first see her around the 1:04 point then later..and.. Then of course, Richard just strolls on by later. :p

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom