Raising chickens and Triceratops!

ajcull

In the Brooder
May 16, 2022
Hi everyone!

I've found so much information and help on this site for years, but I'm an introvert so I've never posted. I finally have a question I can't answer by reading other posts (that I'm about to post in the appropriate thread) and I figured I should follow the instructions for new members and post my intro before I do.

I've been raising chickens for about 5 or 6 years and currently have about 30 chickens. I've had lots of breeds and loved them all but my current favorites are Naked Necks just for fun and I breed Cream Legbars, French Black Copper Maran, and Double Silver Laced Barnevelders. I also love my Easter Eggers for their variety of colors and poofy cheeks!

My favorite part of raising chickens, other than eggs, the relaxation I get from watching them as they go about their daily chores. I'm lucky to have 10 acres and they free range all day. I'm not sure if it is selecting more predator-savvy breeds, or that so many of the chickens are hen raised now, but I don't lose many to predators anymore, thank goodness.

I'm a biologist by training, and my obsession with genetics has a lot to do with my obsession with chickens. Because of their quick reproductive cycles it's fun to do your own phenotype experiments and I like guessing the inheritance patterns by observation. But I also like nerding out on scientific research using modern tools to analyze alleles and the control of genes.

My other hobby is knitting and I can knit just about anything like this tiny Triceratops:

PXL_20220516_183458785.PORTRAIT.jpg

...And I love taking photos that combine knitting and chickens the most!

Thanks to everyone who helps make this community so awesome!
High fives,
Andrea

Back
Top Bottom