Raising chickens for eggs

lmpj1965

Hatching
7 Years
May 24, 2012
I want to keep a small flock for fresh eggs for my family, someone told me that I should kill my chickens before they get a year old ... is this true??

Not true..Chickens do get slower at laying eggs as they get older but I am talking like 2 yrs old I don't know why you would want to kill them before they are a year old when they don't start laying until 5-6 mo old and really get going around age 1. Whoever told you that has never had chickens for eggs.

Not true..Chickens do get slower at laying eggs as they get older but I am talking like 2 yrs old I don't know why you would want to kill them before they are a year old when they don't start laying until 5-6 mo old and really get going around age 1. Whoever told you that has never had chickens for eggs.
This ^^

Killing them at a year old you really won't get your money's worth in eggs.

I know of people who get new chicks every year but they don't butcher the older chickens until the new chicks are laying well. So about every year and a half they would change the chickens out. These people have duel purpose birds.

I know others who keep their laying hens until they die. It is totally up to you.

you don't have to kill them unless that is your choice. that's after they slow way down on laying. you can rehome them or keep them. i intend to phase my out when i've got new ones coming up. my original four are going to be here for as long as the live. they're special in my heart. the others are just plain ole adorable chickens.

Back
Top Bottom