Raising chickens for eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Eggwell, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Eggwell

Eggwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    Hello,

I'm a new member, but not new to raising chickens. I started with a rooster. I loved that ole fellow. He was better than any dog or cat I ever had. He followed me around and waited at the door until I came out. One time he adopted a kitten. We would give him bologna for a treat, but he would cluck for the kitten to eat while he stood over it like a proud daddy, it was so cool. But I seen he, Mr. Red, needed a woman, so we got a hen and then another and another. Up til this past year we just dabbled and sold a few eggs every now and then, but after five years we thought we would just go all the way.We now have 35 chickens, plenty of eggs to sell.

I continually find myself checking this website for information and since I do, I thought I should join also. I have learned a lot from the members on this site, and hope I can be helpful to someone too --- and to find more answers.

Thanks,

Eggwell

2. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    It's usually best to sell at your gate and advertise your eggs as simply fresh eggs. This is because unless you have been inspected you can not call your eggs free range as it is a trade description. I would sell 6 eggs for $1.50 orĀ£1.00. Hope this helps.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

4. Eggwell

Jan 3, 2014
    That really helps a lot. There's a dairy farm that has a driveway that goes next to my house. The diary farm specializes in fresh milk and they get lots of business. I could probably glean from their customers. You've given me a great idea.

5. Eggwell

Jan 3, 2014
    Thank you, for the welcome. I think I will greatly enjoy this site.

6. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Good luck selling eggs. People who buy their milk fresh from the farm gate will probably buy eggs fresh from your gate.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I love your story about Mr.Red and his kitten. I wish you would elaborate on it and post it in "Pictures and stories of My Chickens.". so others can read and enjoy it.

8. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us. [​IMG]

9. Eggwell

Jan 3, 2014
    Here are some pictures of Mr. Red feeding his kitty and waiting at the door for me to come out. I'm having problems getting some of the pictures right side up, but here they are anyway. Hope you enjoy them.
    Here Mr. Red is clucking for the kitten to eat. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Patiently waiting for the kitten to eat all she wants.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] I think this kitten thought Mr. Red was dad. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Mr. Red is waiting at the door for me to come back out.

He was proud and pretty. I will always have a special place for ole Mr. Red. He passed away last year.

[​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC! Nice pictures, Mr. Red was a very pretty rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by