Raising chickens in Hawaii

Mahalo. to you, your chickens, and your ants. :D
-BYC-sign-flash.gif

Aloha @robinschicks ,
I have never ever heard of any chicken keeper complain of Fire ants.
Fire ants attract to protein, I have heard that the state baits their traps with peanut butter to find out if there are any fire ants in the area. So, you may try that first. Put a glob down and see who comes for dinner. I think fire ants are more prone to dry areas of our islands but I am not positive. On the Westside of Kauai, we get plenty. Plenty in Mana, plenty in Waimea but no more inbetween- Kekaha where I stay. I have been raising chickens going on 3 years now and the only ants I have encountered are; little black sugar ants and protein ants on my poop boards and ghost ants in my nest boxes. For the Ghost ants I put a few drops of Terro (bottle from Ace or Depot, not plastic traps) in the corners of boxes and the ants were gone in days if not hours and they stay gone so far, six months. To be fair I had a problem w/ ghost in my house first after the rains. The black... I scrape my poop boards and toss DE and they are gone as they were just looking for a meal. I have more problem with ants in my planter boxes than in my chicken area.
So, to answer your question more directly... whatever ants in your immediate area will attract to any food they can find and that is not necessarily chicken poop.
I would be far more concerned about the Mongoose but either way, chickens are a blast and an asset. I hope you take the plunge. BI has plenty successful chicken keepers it seems. Join in the fun! :jumpy:ya:jumpy:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom