Raising Chickens to Hens for the first time! (Maryland)

If you're talking about mine, it was far easier than we thought it would be. Except for one day when our son helped with the rafters, my husband and I did it all on our own, we were both in our mid 60s, and each of us has som physical disabilities. The key is to break it down into manageable pieces. Between the two of us, we can't stack a straight sandwich, yet our seup has withstood regular winds over 40mph with gusts of 60, a gust of 91 as officially measured by the NWS, snow loads, driving rain and hail! We're pretty proud of its appearance and performance over the years. Others have had the same successes with their designs and coops, and that's why they share them so willingly.

That coop will hold 6 birds.

If you are looking at spending that much money, I suggest that you consider a shed building from Lowes or Home Depot, or consider having your coop built by a local person. Contact your local tech school for a recommendation for someone who could build for you.

Oh I plan on building it myself. I was using that as what I thought I needed and wanted to check if i am on the right track. Good information. The funny thing is it says 12-17 birds but in the picture i only see 5-6.

I am now on the idea of ordering a 10 pack of chicks from Tractor Suppy. Reviews says when you order a 10 pack most people recieve 12 chicks.

Would this setup be good for up to 12 full grown hens? (not that i am going to buy this but build a replica)
https://www.lancasterchickencoops.com/Q610C-combo.php

1/2″ x 1/2″ Poly Coated, Galvanized Wire On Ground Under Coop and Run besides the sides. I would love to make this preditor proof and now need to worry about closing the door to the run.
The coop is large enough for about 6 or 7. The run is only big enough for 6. For 12, you will need a coop with at least 48 sq ft of floor space. And at least 120 sq ft in the run.

If you're talking about mine, it was far easier than we thought it would be. Except for one day when our son helped with the rafters, my husband and I did it all on our own, we were both in our mid 60s, and each of us has som physical disabilities. The key is to break it down into manageable pieces. Between the two of us, we can't stack a straight sandwich, yet our seup has withstood regular winds over 40mph with gusts of 60, a gust of 91 as officially measured by the NWS, snow loads, driving rain and hail! We're pretty proud of its appearance and performance over the years. Others have had the same successes with their designs and coops, and that's why they share them so willingly.
Nice. I am down to do the work and I love seeing everyones designs and ideas. Now I can start foming my own plan, stealing pieces from everyone here and there :)

Hello from southern maryland!! We have tons of very clever predators where I am. If you choose to free range, dont let them out on very cloudy or rainy days as i have had foxes that come out and attack on these days. When building or buying a coop the worst predators to worry about getting in are racoons, and secondly opossums. Racoons will pull chickens through chicken wire if they can reach, so make sure when they roost they are far from windows and not sleeping in the run. They can also find any flaw in your coop, such as loose staples holding a section of chicken wire down and their very coordinated hands will blow your mind. They can squeeze through tiny holes. I personally like to free range, but my coop is big enough that if i feel the weather is not good or i wont be back before nightfall to lock them up i can leave them inside. I have also had hawks attack but that is a more rare occurrence and difficult to control unless you dont free range. Good luck! Raising chickens can be very rewarding.

The coop is large enough for about 6 or 7. The run is only big enough for 6. For 12, you will need a coop with at least 48 sq ft of floor space. And at least 120 sq ft in the run.

This is why i always join a forum before i do something. Need to talk it out with people that been doing what you want to do and you cant straight up just trust people selling things.

Hello from southern maryland!! We have tons of very clever predators where I am. If you choose to free range, dont let them out on very cloudy or rainy days as i have had foxes that come out and attack on these days. When building or buying a coop the worst predators to worry about getting in are racoons, and secondly opossums. Racoons will pull chickens through chicken wire if they can reach, so make sure when they roost they are far from windows and not sleeping in the run. They can also find any flaw in your coop, such as loose staples holding a section of chicken wire down and their very coordinated hands will blow your mind. They can squeeze through tiny holes. I personally like to free range, but my coop is big enough that if i feel the weather is not good or i wont be back before nightfall to lock them up i can leave them inside. I have also had hawks attack but that is a more rare occurrence and difficult to control unless you dont free range. Good luck! Raising chickens can be very rewarding.

Thank you for the Maryland insider information. One trend i am noticing is chicken wire is not the best option for chickens :) keeps them in but not others out.

Just remember...the chickens don't care what it looks like. They want it dry, with ventilation, plenty of space, natural daylight, comfortable roosts, clean, and out of the wind with secure nest boxes. That's it. The only reason I put an emphasis on appearance as well is becuse at the time I was serving on the town council, and our setup is in our backyard, in town, visible from the streets and sidewalk with us being on a corner lot. But if you don't have to think about that, then simply don't.

Back
Top Bottom