Raising Chicks at Different Ages

MotherofHens5819

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2023
Hi There

We have almost 6 week old pullets and we just got one day old chicks since our original mini flock of 4 was possibly cut in half by having 2 roosters although only 1 so far is confirmed rooster (or 99.5% suspect) either case, my concern is that by the end of august we will be on vacation and our flock of now 8 will be at 18 weeks and 12 weeks and I am concerned about the feed situation since around 16-18 weeks we should be introducing calcium like oyster shells for the girls to pick at but also heard that too much could damage our babies, so the 12 weeks old, not needing it might be exposed and chickens are chickens they tend to eat anything put in and around them. Any advice?

Hi There

We have almost 6 week old pullets and we just got one day old chicks since our original mini flock of 4 was possibly cut in half by having 2 roosters although only 1 so far is confirmed rooster (or 99.5% suspect) either case, my concern is that by the end of august we will be on vacation and our flock of now 8 will be at 18 weeks and 12 weeks and I am concerned about the feed situation since around 16-18 weeks we should be introducing calcium like oyster shells for the girls to pick at but also heard that too much could damage our babies, so the 12 weeks old, not needing it might be exposed and chickens are chickens they tend to eat anything put in and around them. Any advice?
I would try to make a make shift coop/run for the younger chicks.

I, like many others on BYC, feed all chickens of all ages an all flock feed. Purina makes one called Flock Raiser. Every feed company makes an all flock feed.
There is oyster shell on the side for the layers to take as needed. Those who don’t need it don’t crave it.

I, like many others on BYC, feed all chickens of all ages an all flock feed. Purina makes one called Flock Raiser. Every feed company makes an all flock feed.
There is oyster shell on the side for the layers to take as needed. Those who don’t need it don’t crave it.
That's good to know considering I am a first time chicken mama. What age can they be started on it? I'm asking because they are 2 months old.

Back
Top Bottom