raising chicks during the school year

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rosiekitty94, Jan 22, 2014.

1. rosiekitty94

rosiekitty94 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Maryland
    So this March, I'm planning on getting a few babies from Murray McMurray. I'm planning on getting fifteen layers (before chicken math). Anyway, at this point in the year I will still be in school. The last time I raised chicks, was June of 2013 when I was off of school. Mainly, I'm concerned that the chicks will arrive in the mail while I'm at school. I am going to try to order them so they will arrive on a weekend. In your experience, is it common for an order to arrive a day or so early/late? Also, last time I raised chicks, I was able to check on them about every hour or so for their first week and a half of life. If I'm at school, I would check on them twice in the morning but they would have to survive on two checks in seven hours from my mom. After I'm home I'll have all the time in the world to dote on them. Do you think they'll be able to make it while I'm at school? I really want to start raising them earlier this year because last year they interfered with vacation and didn't start laying until December. Should I try to wait until summer or not?

2. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    I live in Alaska and our orders have been on time, the morning of the second day after shipping, every time! Ours, mine and my mother-in-laws, are always shipped on a Monday so they arrive first thing to the post office Wednesday morning. They will usually not ship on a weekend or ship with a weekend pick up. The hatchery I get mine from, Cackle, only ships on Mondays and Wednesdays. 15 isn't a huge number, I've left 30 split into 2 brooders for 6 hrs before and they were ok. I gave each brooder 2 waters and food in 2-3 different containers. I like to get mine early also so they start laying no later than mid September since it starts getting dark so quickly in the fall. I think they will be perfectly fine! Especially if your mom can fill the feed or water if they're out.

3. StruckBy

StruckBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    As long as they have enough food & water and enough space to move in/out of the heat they should be fine. I rarely, okay never, have had to do anything to chicks more than once a day so I don't see why they won't be fine for 8-9 hrs while you're gone. Also, they'll be fine at the Post Office until the end of the day...the bigger issue in my experience is that the postal staff are driven nuts by the cheaping & really want you to come get them right away!

4. smhoekzema

smhoekzema Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    I worked when I first got my chicks. They went from 9-5 with NO checks. As long as you spend the first weekend making sure they can't run out of food and water and that there are no issues with the heating system then they will be perfectly fine

5. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    You probably won't be able to order them to arrive on the weekend. Murray Hatchery tends to ship their chicks out on Mondays. If you notice the shipping dates, they're all Monday. They want them to arrive during the middle of the week, so the chicks aren't sitting in an empty post office the entire weekend.

BUT, the chicks will be fine if they arrive while you're at school. Remember, they are only a day old when shipped, because they still have the yolk sac to sustain them during shipment. The yolk sac will help them out for a few DAYS, so a few hours extra won't hurt. My biggest concern would be where the postal carrier puts them, and if it's SUPER-cold there as they sit, waiting for you.

Also, McMurray hatchery tends to have the post office HOLD them for you. They don't usually deliver to your door unless you request it. If they do, and you get out of school before the post office closes, then they'll be just fine sitting in the heated office. No need to worry about any of it.

6. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    One more thing: McMurray only allows 15 as a minimum AFTER April 1st. So in March, you'd have to order at least 25 chicks.

7. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok now I'm totally lost. I was looking to order some chicks from mcmurray but I didn't want 25. They said April-December you can order a minimum of 3 chicks. And then I read your comment saying 15. Oh and another thing I dont get is the 5minimum chick option. I called them and they said that they couldn't give me 5 chicks only 25. How cold in July does it have to get to let them send less than 25? Or 15?

8. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Not in a bad way or to be rude but why do you order from there.
    I have had good luck with them but they are so high!!!
    I started ordering from Meyer a few yrs ago and they have always put in extra chicks in.
    And all chicks have been healthy.
    I bought 100 pullets and even with s/h I paid $201.58!!!
    Just wondering ???

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I don't think they do a minimum smaller than 15. The last time I ordered from MM, I ordered my 15 chicks and they sent 10 packing peanuts (which all turned out to be production red cockerels), so I still got 25 chicks. Next time I'd order the full 25 and sell the extra pullets.
    Anyway, I think My Pet Chicken does a minimum order of 3 it 5 and a couple other hatcheries as well, I just can't think of then at the moment. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  10. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Meyer will sell a min of 3 chicks after Apirl first!!!
    Here's a link!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by