Jetblack2004

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 22, 2016
South East England
My Coop
My Coop
I'm not sure how to describe this but:

If I hatch out 2 lots of chicks of different ages, How long before I put in a younger lot with and older lot will the older lot attack the younger ones. A week? Less or more?

Sorry if it's not very clear but it's hard to describe!

I've mixed chicks a good three weeks in age difference. The key is having a large brooder, plenty of space for everyone to move around. In one of those little plastic totes I wouldn't try it.

I have almost two week olds and almost one week olds together and they are getting along great. The first day I brought them home I separated them until they got enough water and food to regain their strenngth then put them together the next day and all was good.
cool.png

I have almost two week olds and almost one week olds together and they are getting along great. The first day I brought them home I separated them until they got enough water and food to regain their strenngth then put them together the next day and all was good.
cool.png

I had the same age difference and I put them together as newbies and 8 days old but I added the new ones at night under the heated brooder (It was fairly dark and the peeps were all asleep.). As soon as it was light the next morning they were all out together eating and drinking with no problems. The younger ones followed the older ones to the food and water so that made it very easy.

It seems to be a size-difference thing rather than age. I have 1-3 week olds in one brooder just fine, but had to set up a different brooder for the bantams last night as they were the only ones getting picked on by the bigger guys.

Yay for this thread! Lol. I just got an incubator and some fertile eggs from a friend(barnyard classics
1f61c.png
). I've been trying to decide if I should set them tomorrow morning or not. Hatch day would be April 8th. I'm planning on getting chicks from fleet farm April 1st. They will be a few days difference in age but would all be between 1 & 2 weeks old when mine hatch.
You all helped me decide to set them in the morning!!!
1f483.png

ETA- The incubator is not from the friend, I bought it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom