Raising chicks to be wild

I inadvertently did something like this over twenty years ago, with my first chickens. They came from a neighbor, who said they would "do just fine" roosting in my pole barn rafters. They were Belgian d"Uccle bantams, very good flyers. I fed them, and watched. Over several generations, the survivors were very cautious, leaner in body type, and loosing their foot feathering. I lost enthusiasm completely, and built a safe coop, and would never go back. Going out in the morning to body parts, piles of feathers, and severely injured but alive chickens. AWFUL! I'd rather watch the real wild birds, and take care of the chickens. Mary

Okay I think this is the right place to post this. I've been looking at all the forums for thirty minutes trying to figure it out.

Anyways I'm thinking of hatching some of our free ranging hens eggs. I want to raise them to be Wild. We have nine acres of land that are mostly predator free thanks to our dogs. I want to raise them to know how to survive in the wild. I'm doing this to see what would happen after a few generations.
A few generations means a few years. Breed(s) not indicated. Genetic variation needed for selection to operate on. If population too small, then random chance will dominate genetic changes. You will get immediate behavioral changes in one generation as the birds get used to new situation. Hens will suffer heavy mortality while broody. A predator not mentioned so far will be more impactful if chickens can fly well, Great-horned Owl. If population too small, then it is more likely to be wiped out by chance.

Yes I've planted several types of plants for them and have wild blue berries growing all over the place.

I live inAlabama bywe don't get snow and Its very very rare for the ground to freeze

Back
Top Bottom