Raising chicks vs. purchasing hens

partysummer07

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Orlando, FL
Hi, my girlfriend and I are new to chickens and we would like to start getting eggs as soon as possible, so originally we planned to buy some hens that were already laying, but we have also thought about raising chicks. What are the benefits of raising the chicks as opposed to buying hens? Will the chickens like us more and be more friendly if we raise them? Would it be safe to get a hen or two now and then raise two chicks to join them later?

Hi, I'm a newbie to chickens...just been about a year....Chickens raised from chick-hood turn out very sweet and personable due to the extra loving time spent caring for them...just my personal experience from raising our barred rock and ameracauna...

you willl wait at least 6 months for your chicks to lay eggs.

now consider the cost of feeding them for 6 months and all the while add in the cost of buying your egg, also..

you can buy laying hens very cheaply if you watch your local craigs list and check out the bullitin board at the feed mills..

you can tame down even a wild chicken if you have the patience.

Raising baby chicks is so much fun....afraid that is the main reason I do it.
smile.png
If I were you, I would go ahead and get a few adults to lay eggs now and raise some babies to mix in later. Getting them integrated isn't usually all that difficult. Good luck and have fun!!!

Almost forgot to add a big huge
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Hi there, and welcome to BYC!
These are great questions.

Pros of buying chicks:

Chicks are cute.
It gives you time to build a chicken coop.
Greater variety of breeds available.
It's less likely you will import chicken diseases.

Cons of buying chicks:
You need a brooder, and they have to be raised indoors or somewhere warm.
Most breeders have a minimum order of chicks.
No eggs for 16-24 weeks.
Chicks require more care and babysitting.

Laying hens are not as readily available, nor can you get them in as many breeds, as chicks. However, in my county, you can regularly get them at the animal shelter for only 2.00 apiece: these are hens past their laying prime. It's hard to tell how old a chicken is once they are grown.

Introducing new chickens is often quite a chore. the older chickens peck the younger ones.

Most chickens will like you as soon as they figure out where the treats come from, but it's probably safer to raise your own chicks if you are looking for cuddly pets.

My baby chicks hated to be held and did not like me at all, but once they grew a bit and were out of the brooder they got more friendly. Some breeds are friendlier than others: Buff Orpingtons and Silkies are often recommended as pets, but Silkies don't lay well.

Have you decided on what breeds you want?

Thanks for replying everyone.

Like you mentioned Renee, since there are less breeds to choose from with hens I figured I'm going to end up taking whatever breed becomes available first. It would be nice if they were friendly, and I'd prefer regular sized eggs so Banties are out, but other than that I'm not particular.

Partysummer07,
I found raising chicks to be smelly, dirty and just a little bit of a hassle, in the house. Not that I wouldn't do it again, but only if I had a strong motivator.
I had no problem finding breeders that had a great variety of pullets and hens. Pullets were $10-$15. The americauna(sp) Hen was $25. I also don't really care about breed, but choose for color. I found them listed on craigslist, several actually. Good Luck.
Imp

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom