Raising Chicks

welcome to byc. dont have cats, but i do have pitbulls. my chicks seem to stay away from them, but the rest of the flock just thinks of them as giant chickens and follow them around the yard when free ranging. kinda makes my pittys look a little sad. but the chickens seem pretty happy wandering around with pitbulls in the middle of there flock. a little comical

I trained my cats to not touch my chicks by showing them the brooder while I had a hold of the scruff of their necks as they laid in my arms. When I felt the cat get excited in my arms I gave a stiff tug on the scruff the neck and that seemed to do the trick. They have never tangled with my birds. The sad part is that the chickens were pecking chasing and harassing my cats for a while. Then this spring my male cat caught a wild birds and tortured it right in front of the chickens and the chickens got all traumatized by it. They no longer peck chase or harass any of my cats. The Cats never even look at the chickens unless its when they sit on the roof of the coops and watch them like they were watching TV. They do love to sit up high chill out and watch chickens scratch and peck.

Back
Top Bottom