Raising Chicks

Pics
Leghorns lay the most eggs, but they are flighty. If you let them run around the yard, they may go to the neighbor's side.
Mine tend to go through our fence and goes by the driveway and street but never wanders too far. To prevent this from happening make sure the fence is solid and they can't go through

Are black sex links friendly?
according to the Sex link info,
These chickens are not known for aggression and can do well in smaller flocks with more human interaction.
You will be handling and sitting with all your baby chicks from day of arrival.
I handle mine everyday and do a "well" check inspection.
Some allow and want me to carry them around and some tolerate it but yell! Nobody pecks me because they are use to it.
Just because some, like my Easter Eggers are more skiddish doesnt mean I don't handler them.
I have one very friendly Rhode Island red.
It just depends.
Where do you plan on buying your chicks from?

according to the Sex link info,
These chickens are not known for aggression and can do well in smaller flocks with more human interaction.
You will be handling and sitting with all your baby chicks from day of arrival.
I handle mine everyday and do a "well" check inspection.
Some allow and want me to carry them around and some tolerate it but yell! Nobody pecks me because they are use to it.
Just because some, like my Easter Eggers are more skiddish doesnt mean I don't handler them.
I have one very friendly Rhode Island red.
It just depends.
Where do you plan on buying your chicks from?
I was considering this place:
https://www.dare2dreamfarms.com/shop/Baby-Chicks-p67694834
There really aren't any feed stores that sell chickens around me... :(

@FarmerGirl101 where do you get your chicks/chickens from?
I got mine from my local Tractor Supply Co. I think all the stores here carry chicks. I'd call the TSC location that you are planning to get them from so that way you know when the chick days are. The chicks are pretty cheap there (less than $5 per chick although not too sure (my ducks were $2 so around that range) and all of mine have turned out great from them. They are all sexed I believe except for one bin so ask them if you aren't sure. They don't have the biggest selection of chick breeds but they should carry a mix of layer and meat birds.

Depending on where you are in San Francisco/Bay Area it may be a bit of a drive. San Francisco doesn't have a lot of TSC stores nearby as they are all an hour away. The closest are in Napa, east of Sonoma, and Antioch which are all an hour drive. You could go to the Watsonville or Gilroy store but that would take longer and better if you were near Palo Alto.

Personally, I would purchase chicks from TSC if I were you as they are cheaper and usually healthy. I haven't had an early death from them with the only three that have died, died at 4 years old. The only problem would be that it is a drive depending on your location

I got mine from my local Tractor Supply Co. I think all the stores here carry chicks. I'd call the TSC location that you are planning to get them from so that way you know when the chick days are. The chicks are pretty cheap there (less than $5 per chick although not too sure (my ducks were $2 so around that range) and all of mine have turned out great from them. They are all sexed I believe except for one bin so ask them if you aren't sure. They don't have the biggest selection of chick breeds but they should carry a mix of layer and meat birds.

Depending on where you are in San Francisco/Bay Area it may be a bit of a drive. San Francisco doesn't have a lot of TSC stores nearby as they are all an hour away. The closest are in Napa, east of Sonoma, and Antioch which are all an hour drive. You could go to the Watsonville or Gilroy store but that would take longer and better if you were near Palo Alto.

Personally, I would purchase chicks from TSC if I were you as they are cheaper and usually healthy. I haven't had an early death from them with the only three that have died, died at 4 years old. The only problem would be that it is a drive depending on your location
Does TSC sell auto sex chicks?

Back
Top Bottom