Raising Chicks

Pics

chickenn00b11

Chirping
Oct 13, 2020
Bay Area
Hi all!
I was wondering what the essentials are for raising chicks? Also, what are the essentials for caring for adult chickens? What are the maintenance schedules like for both chicks and chickens? What is a good number of chickens to start with? How much land would they need? Can you guys recommend any useful products? Sorry for the question overload, I just really want to learn. Does anyone have some good point/reasons to get chickens so that I can convince my mom? Thanks!

I do not have a rooster. I do not want fertilized eggs nor do I want chicks yet. They Free range all day and get locked up every night. My so called "Rooster" is our dog. She protects them. Here is her picture watching over the girls.

Attachments

• 20200815_104934.jpg
    20200815_104934.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
Ok. I think I'm allowed a rooster where I live. At what age do they start crowing?

I feel like that is a bit of a last resort because I would feel bad putting a collar on him...

Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm probably going to order from Murrays because I can get 7 instead of from TSC where I can only get a min of 10.
They start crowing at 3 to 4 months old depending on the maturity time of the breed and they don't just crow once or twice in the morning, its continuous and annoyingly loud! Furthermore, roosters unlike hens, bite. The dominant rooster will challenge you and needs to acknowledge your authority.

So, for chicks, you need a brooder. This includes a heat lamp and spacious container. For example my container is one of the metal troughs you get at tractor supply. Don’t get the rubber ones bc they have anti algae chemicals in them. All of the things necessary to raise chicks can be purchased at TSC such as bedding, feed, a feeder and waterer. As for a schedule for the little ones...when they start to get low, fill it up again. A lot of people use chick grit but I’ve never needed it tbh I’ve been raising chickens for like four years now and I have no idea what chick grit is for. I’m pretty sure it’s to help digestion. As for adult birds, they do require room. This depends on the bird as well. Some do better in confinement than others. Personally, my flock is free ranged. However, my 12x12 stalls can easily fit six adult birds since it’s around 4-6 chick limit at tractor supply. Plus that’s just a good number to start with. Some uses? Bug control. Free eggs. Good pets if handled enough. They’re quite quirky. A beginner tip-start with a breed like barred rocks or sex links. Personally I think BRs are the best beginner birds. They’re super friendly and easy to gender since the difference in coloring. Plus they’re cool to look at. Sorry if I missed some of your questions.

You keep asking me about breeds.
Well, people really like the Buff Orpingtons. They are very friendly and if you handle them everyday as chicks, sit with them while doing homework, they will be jumping on your lap, pooping!!! Lol
I'll have 6 little chicks hopping along my desk and pooping on it.
Teacher: What happened to your HW?
Me: My chickens pooped on it *laugh*

Ok. Thanks that helps a lot! Can you recommend any food and bedding for both chicks and adults? Could I raise the chicks in a large cardboard bed? Do you have any tips for when handling chicks?
Not really married to a specific brand of feed. Purina’s a good one. For younger chicks, you’ll need chick starter. What’s nice about Purina is they give you an age chart on how long to feed starter and when to start giving grower. For bedding...pine shavings have worked well for me. It’s just preference on size. But no, a cardboard box is too flimsy and a fire hazard because of the heat lamp (those things are HOT). There are different sizes of the troughs TSC uses for chicks. I personally got a smaller one because we don’t usually raise more than six in a group (and the smaller ones are cheaper). For handling chicks, I usually start by feeding them from my hand to get them used to me. Sometimes I’ll just put my hand in there and they hop up and around using it as a roost. When holding a chick, hold them from the bottom since they tend to freak out when their feet are left to dangle. Same with catching them, try not to grab from the top as that can scare them. I find it easier to “scoop” them up instead. However this can be difficult if you have a more agile chick like a leghorn. If you give them a place to snuggle, they’ll be much happier too.

Roosters will challenge you until you set them straight. I had to grab them by their legs and slap their head a few times before they got the message, "This is what happens if you bite the hand that feeds you."

Back
Top Bottom