Any advise for FFA or 4H-ers raising chicks?

RaesChicks

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Southeastern US
I’d like to have a thread for kids in ag clubs just getting started on their chick raising journey. There are tons of resources and guide books and of course browsing through the site we all get an amazing amount of advice. But getting started can be intimidating and many of us can get quite extravagant in our builds and maintenance routines. I was hoping people could share their simplest takes on raising small flocks for projects. Cheap and simple brooder builds, easy and inexpensive coops, best practices for maintaining healthy show birds, etc. I’d love to share some of your feedback with my club, and I’m sure there are many who browse the site who would appreciate your advice. 😊

Thanks in advance!

Just about anything can become a brooder. Bigger is better depending on how many chicks will be in it, they grow fast and will most likely be in it for 5 weeks. I've seen plastic kiddie pools with wire covers. My brooder is made from an old 3 compartment kitchen cabinet from a demo project, With all the doors, shelves and front framing removed, laid on it's back with a raised wire cover made for it. I block off one end for the first few days to make it smaller until they are used to finding the food and water, and then I open it all the way so they have more room. I can do up to about 15 chicks in that at a time. In smaller groups I can divide it in half and do two groups at the same time with a second heat source.
Hoop house coops can be economical to make, as well as converting an old shed. If I was starting out, my first choice would be a shed to convert, if I could get my hands on one. Premade coops are often very flimsy and too small for the advertised capacity. They may seem quick and simple, but usually are a disappointment long term.

Just about anything can become a brooder. Bigger is better depending on how many chicks will be in it, they grow fast and will most likely be in it for 5 weeks. I've seen plastic kiddie pools with wire covers. My brooder is made from an old 3 compartment kitchen cabinet from a demo project, With all the doors, shelves and front framing removed, laid on it's back with a raised wire cover made for it. I block off one end for the first few days to make it smaller until they are used to finding the food and water, and then I open it all the way so they have more room. I can do up to about 15 chicks in that at a time. In smaller groups I can divide it in half and do two groups at the same time with a second heat source.
Hoop house coops can be economical to make, as well as converting an old shed. If I was starting out, my first choice would be a shed to convert, if I could get my hands on one. Premade coops are often very flimsy and too small for the advertised capacity. They may seem quick and simple, but usually are a disappointment long term.
Thank you for your advice. I love the idea of an old cabinet for a brooder. I actually have some in my shed. I’ll be on the lookout for an old shed or playhouse as well for the coop. That does sound much easier than a new build.

Back
Top Bottom