Mama heating pad cave for 20 chicks

What size pad can y'all recommend for 18-20 chicks?
This is this years construction in progress. I snipped almost all of the bars off of this metal shelf and I also took the cover off the sunbeam. It's the XL King and I think it's good for about 10 chicks. So your plan to make 2 is good. You are going to be better off asking for recommendations on the construction from Blooie's thread that you're already reading. Definitely post a question there and see if Aaart has any new inventions. This constant debate about red lamps vs. other stuff brings up valid points but I'm just trying to help you get to construction since you're on limited time. I can tell you that I've done it every way you can imagine and that's all because of the information on this site. I've received chicks and put them directly under the MHP and had zero problems. But I've also used a ceramic lamp for the first few days after reading from Natj that they should get a big warm up for vitals when I first get them. I'm never going to know if there is a "bad way," to do this because I've never lost a chick and I've never had "cold chicks." And indeed my very first 2 years I used old red hot. But old red hot is my least favorite tool. So just like rosemarythyme has said, Do what works for you!!! GOOD LUCK!!

IMG_1381.JPG

Deep in the comments of some other posts I found some people used the heating pad for 16 chicks up to 4ish weeks. It was more like the heat plate style than the cave style.
That's was probably me...with a 12x24" flat pad....i wouldn't try with more than that.
I see later you mentioned using 2, put them as close together at the 12" ends.

I bought a heat pad and made a cave for my baby chicks 2 years ago and added a black ceramic heat bulb too so they had both but the pad wasn't warm enough so they never used it.Its in my closet now
@ChickensComeHome2Roost stop deluging threads with posts about your bad heating pad experience.
Start a new thread with lots of pics and ambient temps if you feel the need to warn others of some errors.

That's was probably me...with a 12x24" flat pad....i wouldn't try with more than that.
I see later you mentioned using 2, put them as close together at the 12" ends.

@ChickensComeHome2Roost stop deluging threads with posts about your bad heating pad experience.
Start a new thread with lots of pics and ambient temps if you feel the need to warn others of some errors.
I wasn't bashing the use of heating pads in warm climates sorry if anyone took it that way.

I've never actually gotten a Sunbeam, cheap no-name ones seem to work just fine for me. As I only brood very small batches I find the 12x15 size to be perfect for 3 to 4 chicks, with plenty of wiggle room.
This is the one I bought from Amazon. It's on sale now for $9.99 but it was only $12 when I got it. We didn't make the cave, but did bring it along to a few poultry swaps and hooked it up with our generator to keep the chicks warm so at least it's getting some use.

This is the one I bought from Amazon. It's on sale now for $9.99 but it was only $12 when I got it. We didn't make the cave, but did bring it along to a few poultry swaps and hooked it up with our generator to keep the chicks warm so at least it's getting some use.
That might be the one I have... I'd have to wrestle it away from hubby to find out LOL. Might need to buy a separate one for the chicks.

warm climates
United States warm climates I assume, where do you mean? I'm not actually joking, I've lived in Alaska, Washington, Oregon and Florida but nothing in between. I've used MHP in Ak, Wa, and Oregon. I tried a red lamp in my coop in Wa. and this forum went nuts telling me to kill it before I started a fire, thankfully! It's pretty amazing to watch the whole process in action. I just got in from my coop where my 3 weeks olds one by one went under the MHP with one hold out on top. It's a balmy *40 right now but it's mostly been in the *30's.

United States warm climates I assume, where do you mean? I'm not actually joking, I've lived in Alaska, Washington, Oregon and Florida but nothing in between. I've used MHP in Ak, Wa, and Oregon. I tried a red lamp in my coop in Wa. and this forum went nuts telling me to kill it before I started a fire, thankfully! It's pretty amazing to watch the whole process in action. I just got in from my coop where my 3 weeks olds one by one went under the MHP with one hold out on top. It's a balmy *40 right now but it's mostly been in the *30's.
Even stating which "warm climate" doesn't help much, because all of them change so much with the seasons. The same thing that works in a Florida winter may be good in Alaska in the summer, and in Washington or Oregon during the spring and fall.

But when you say you have temperatures in the 30s and 40s (I assume Fahrenheit), that is a specific number which is easy to compare with the temperature where I live, or where OP lives, or any other place someone is trying to make a decision.

Although I do wonder: is that the temperature in your brooder, out from under the MHP, or is that the temperature outdoors but the chicks are in a building that may be a bit warmer? Because some chicken coops or barns or garages will stay distinctly warmer than the outdoors, while others do not. Of course when people brood chicks inside a human house with heating or air conditioning, the outdoor temperature has absolutely no effect on the chicks, at least until they move outside.

Last edited:
is that the temperature in your brooder, out from under the MHP, or is that the temperature outdoors but the chicks are in a building that may be a bit warmer?
It's the temp outside. I should have been more clear that I consider our temps to not be that of a "warm climate," and I would assert that MHP works in all climates but additional heat might be necessary in brutal cold, not sure though, personally I will add a ceramic lamp in brutal cold but that's just my opinion, it doesn't mean they need it. My definition of brutal cold would outside temps in the teens and less. Especially I agree to your point, it's just about what temp's you're dealing with at the time no matter where you are.

My process is to start them out in a mini house on my property. It has heat so the ambient temp is human comfort temperature. I have a heat plate (just so they get used to going under a cave,) and a ceramic lamp, in a brooder pen where I can give them a good heat up from shipping and/or stess from moving and keep an eye on them for 2 days, possibly longer. IF the temps outside are not below freezing, out they go to the coop brooder room where I have a MHP. My coop is insulated, about 10 degrees' warmer than outside temps.

Every year is different but typically they're out in 40* low overnight temps by 2 weeks old. I've gone to the trouble of putting a meat thermometer under the MHP in *40 to make sure it was at least *80 under it and indeed it get's up to *95. I've had chicks preferring to sleep just outside the MHP because it's so warm. I was using a Sunbeam that got so old Blooie kept recommending that I replace it as old brittle wires could be a fire hazard. But I had a hard time finding a new one that got as hot as my old one. Finally I have the new Sunbeam and with the cover removed, it's hot enough. This is my first year using the new one and so far so good, chicks are happy and healthy.

We've had some lovely daytime temps of *60-70 this week where I opened a window in the brooder so they could get outside air. They can watch the big chickens out the window and see and hear them inside the coop as well as interact with me at waist height where I'm not reaching down over their heads. They have no fear of me.

The combination of Blooies MHP thread and this one: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors
Plus this article from Azygous https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rooder-and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors
and valuable information and experiences from both you and Aart is how I've arrived at my process. I appreciate all of the good information that I've gotten and I feel that if the OP is looking for advice on how to be successful with MHP, then the responses to discourage the use MHP are not all that should be contributed.

The cave shape could be a problem for that many chicks.

With a broody hen, chicks can go under her from all sides, and can get back out on all sides if they are feeling crowded.

A brooder plate (flat thing on legs) can let chicks go under from all sides, and get out on all sides.

A heat lamp can let chicks go in and out of the warm area from all sides (unless it's in a corner, then they only have two sides to go in and out, but that is still quite a lot of space to go in and out of.)

But with a cave that is closed everywhere except the back, you have a risk of chicks in front squishing chicks in back, and the ones in back being trapped with no way out. Then the back ones can get killed by squishing or by overheating. This would not be a problem with a small number of chicks (plenty of space for the back one to get past the other few), but I would be concerned that 18-20 chicks could be a dangerously large number for this setup.

Having two caves could help with keeping all the chicks warm, but will not help much with the smothering issue. They might all try to go into one cave at the same time. Chicks tend to copy each other and stay in groups, so I think there is a pretty good chance they would all try to go into the same one.

I can't say for sure whether it will work for you or not, just mentioning the details I would be most concerned about. Actually watching the chicks will give you much more information than predictions made by some person on the internet, but of course that doesn't help with setting up before they arrive.

I agree, definitely check the policy of the hatchery.

There is a good reason to use heat lamps for newly-arrived chicks instead of any other heat source.

The chicks arrive cold, thirsty, hungry, and confused. If you put them under a heat lamp, they can warm up and drink and eat all at the same time. If they wander off, they are attracted back by the light and by the warmth. Because it makes a circle of warmth, hottest in the middle, they can easily move to spots that are a bit warmer or a bit cooler.

With any of the heating pad or brooder plate ideas, a chick can choose to get warm, or it can choose to eat and drink, but it cannot do both at the same time. After a few days, when they have recovered from being shipped, that is not a problem. But when they first arrive, they need to get warm right away and they also need to eat & drink very soon. Being able to do all those things at the same time can be a big help.

A heat lamp also puts out much more heat than most heating pad or brooder plate setups. Shipped chicks can arrive badly chilled, so they need much more heat to get warm again. Once they are fully warm and fed (a day or two later), they do not need as much heat to stay warm. But that extra heat right at the beginning can make a difference.

It makes the most difference for the chicks that arrive in the worst shape. So chicks that arrive in good condition, running around and peeping and so forth, may be okay with a heating pad cave from the first day. But chicks that are in bad shape, may recover just fine under a heat lamp with food & water in the warm area, but might crawl under a cave and die there while trying to get warm and still being hungry and thirsty. Or if they can't stand up, they may not be able to get warm enough from a heating pad or heat plate (if they are expected to snuggle against it from underneath: standing up takes energy they may not have.) And if you pull them out and drip sugar water in their beaks, trying to give them more energy, then they are getting chilled again.

These points apply to chicks that have just been shipped. They do not apply to chicks that hatch under a broody hen, or chicks that just hatched in an incubator and did not get shipped, or chicks that were shipped to a store and spent several days recovering there before you got them.
Thank you! I appreciate your response.

Back
Top Bottom