Raising Chicks

Pics
Oh. That seems like a bit of a problem.
Would this pen work? https://www.amazon.com/GABraden-Ani...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=WZBF06QHAQ6911Q34C0T&th=1
Would I use the brooder to heat the chicks when they are in the playpen and the heater to heat the coop?
I use what ever I can find around the house, if nothing, I would go to a hardware store and pick up some fine to med fencing. I ordered the pvc fittings from ebay. I need two coops because we can't put different age chickens together until they grow up. Both coops are 12 feet long. I can bring 12 chickens to maturity with the small long coop. They like to perch together on the long perch.
Notice the heat lamp, it has a 200watt bulb and I show a dimmer extension cord from Lowes. You need a dimmer switch. After one week they can stay in the small cage outside during the day and I bring them in at night or if its windy.
DSCN0016.JPG
DSCN0017.JPG
DSCN0029.JPG
DSCN0018.JPG
DSCN0023.JPG
DSCN0025.JPG
DSCN0024.JPG
DSCN0027.JPG
DSCN0032.JPG

I use pine shavings for the brooder and I never change it, I just sprinkle a little pine shavings over their poop daily. When they go outside, they need a little chick grit to grind up the grass.

You'll want to start looking at the Hatchery sites.
Look at the inventory and see if the females, aka: Pullets.
Some hatcheries have babies that are feathered out and might cost more but, then they can go straight to the coop.
They get mailed to your post office. You get notifies as soon as they arrive and you must be there to pick them up.
Shipped chicks take special care so, if you decide to order n ship them, you will need to know how to care for them upon y I ur possession. Shipped chicks are not fed and need electrolytes ASAP or they will die.
You need chicks vaccinated against Merek Disease so make sure you buy chicks that are vaccinated.

When do you plan on getting said chicks?

You might have better luck building your coop then getting chicks.

Things to think about.
Also chick for Hatcheries in your area.

Check out Tractor supply too.
They ship via Hoover Hatchery.
I order = 10 chicks.
If you order from anywhere READ the FINE PRINT. Have your parents Read the fine print too. VERY IMPORTANT.
you WILL want them VACCINATED and make sure you know HOW many come per order.
If you order 7, you can get 70 chicks because at Tractor supply One order is 10. If you order from Murray's, one order minunium is 15! Based on what that Fine Print says.
Make sure you order FEMALES/PULLETS.
they will also send you "Bonus" chicks. More often than not, that said bonus are "Males!".
So know what your plan is for the said "Bonus" males.
Otherwise, you & your Dad will have to "Cull" them.
If you don't order females and you order "Free Run", then they just grab chicks from a bin and send them. Males and females...who knows!
But, mostly Males. So, in that case, out of 10 chicks, you could get 9 Roosters and 1 Pullets. Sorry about your luck is what is said.
No returns!!
Read the Fine Print.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201016-214927_Chrome Dev.jpg
    Screenshot_20201016-214927_Chrome Dev.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20201016-214223_Chrome Dev.jpg
    Screenshot_20201016-214223_Chrome Dev.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20201016-214927_Chrome Dev.jpg
    Screenshot_20201016-214927_Chrome Dev.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20201016-213310_Chrome Dev.jpg
    Screenshot_20201016-213310_Chrome Dev.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 2
You'll want to start looking at the Hatchery sites.
Look at the inventory and see if the females, aka: Pullets.
Some hatcheries have babies that are feathered out and might cost more but, then they can go straight to the coop.
They get mailed to your post office. You get notifies as soon as they arrive and you must be there to pick them up.
Shipped chicks take special care so, if you decide to order n ship them, you will need to know how to care for them upon y I ur possession. Shipped chicks are not fed and need electrolytes ASAP or they will die.
You need chicks vaccinated against Merek Disease so make sure you buy chicks that are vaccinated.

When do you plan on getting said chicks?

You might have better luck building your coop then getting chicks.

Things to think about.
Also chick for Hatcheries in your area.
I'm looking for local hatcheries...
I don't currently have a timeline because I haven't written my essay or even talked to my parents about getting them. In total, how much would it cost to build a 50 sq ft coop and a 100 sq ft run? I will make sure to read everything.
Check out Tractor supply too.
They ship via Hoover Hatchery.
I order = 10 chicks.
If you order from anywhere READ the FINE PRINT. Have your parents Read the fine print too. VERY IMPORTANT.
you WILL want them VACCINATED and make sure you know HOW many come per order.
If you order 7, you can get 70 chicks because at Tractor supply One order is 10. If you order from Murray's, one order minunium is 15! Based on what that Fine Print says.
Make sure you order FEMALES/PULLETS.
they will also send you "Bonus" chicks. More often than not, that said bonus are "Males!".
So know what your plan is for the said "Bonus" males.
Otherwise, you & your Dad will have to "Cull" them.
If you don't order females and you order "Free Run", then they just grab chicks from a bin and send them. Males and females...who knows!
But, mostly Males. So, in that case, out of 10 chicks, you could get 9 Roosters and 1 Pullets. Sorry about your luck is what is said.
No returns!!
Read the Fine Print.
How much is shipping?

Back
Top Bottom