raising diff breeds of chicks together in one area?

Padleia

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2016
Kelowna, British Columbia
I am one of those crazy people who wants 2 of a couple different breeds ..... Is it ok to keep chicks I order in one area (indoors) until they are old enough to be in the coop (out doors)?

I am thinking about getting 2 silkies, 2 olive eggers, 2 easter eggers.. Small flock, all hens (hopefully). If I get any roosters, they will be dinner (sorry if that sounds mean, but roosters are not legal in my area).

If they are different ages is that ok? Should I quarantine each set of chicks first before introduction?

They will likely be all from the same local breeder.

Is it better to start off with eggs and hatch myself? or order week old chicks? I am totally new to all this, I doubt I'd be very successful hatching eggs as a newbie... It is also important to be that the hens all be kid friendly. So they will be handled asap.

At what age can chicks go outside in the coop safely? I will be starting my flock in Spring 2017. temp outside will typically be between 15-20ish degrees Celsius in the Spring.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Couple of answers for ya....

All your chicks can be raised together. It is more difficult if they are different ages because they have different temperature requirements. 95 degrees the first week and decreasing by 5 degrees every week until down to 70. Sorry, I do not know the conversion to Celsius. If you have enough heat and safety outdoors, they can be raised there from the beginning.

If they come from the same place at the same time, no need to quarantine. However, even if they come from the same place at different times, you still should quarantine.

If the weather is good enough I have my chicks on pasture at day 3. Otherwise, I bring in clumps of dirt so they can gradually build immunity to the bacteria and other stuff in my ground.

If you are getting from a breeder, very rarely can they actually know male or female. So your chances would be 50/50. And silkies are difficult to sex before 6-8 months and won't lay eggs before that.

My EE are usually flighty and sporadic, not consistent layers. I do have 1 that is calm.

No, I wouldn't add the stress of hatching. Just enjoy the fun of new chicks. Also, when you hatch there will be about 50% boys. Since you have no problem eating them, maybe it isn't an issue. But, I would get more chicks than I wanted hens to allow for ones that won't be female. It isn't mean, we ALL have to eat! And we just happen to know where our food comes from.
smile.png

It's great that you're planning ahead. Any other breeds you have to choose from? Silkies are probably the easiest handling for kids... but ALL chickens are individuals regardless of breed.

Best wishes!

Large breeds will pick on the Silkies once they get bigger than the Silkies. They'll keep them away from the feed. If it were me I would brood them separate or if you have to put them together make sure there are plenty of feeders and watch that the Silkies are getting picked on.

Welcome! It's best to get chicks the same age from the same source at the same time; raised together, they will be 'family' and do well. BUT Silkies are fragile, small, and can't fly, and so often don't do well with standard birds. Many people with Silkies have them in a separate coop, even if they can free range together. Breeder day old chicks will be unsexed; getting six, they could all be cockerels! L like getting straight run chicks, and choosing the 'keepers' as they mature, and I do keep cockerel(s) if they fit into my flock. I'd suggest that if you plan to have five or six pullets, start with twice that many chicks! Mary

I am one of those crazy people who wants 2 of a couple different breeds ..... Is it ok to keep chicks I order in one area (indoors) until they are old enough to be in the coop (out doors)?

I am thinking about getting 2 silkies, 2 olive eggers, 2 easter eggers.. Small flock, all hens (hopefully). If I get any roosters, they will be dinner (sorry if that sounds mean, but roosters are not legal in my area).

If they are different ages is that ok? Should I quarantine each set of chicks first before introduction?

They will likely be all from the same local breeder.

Is it better to start off with eggs and hatch myself? or order week old chicks? I am totally new to all this, I doubt I'd be very successful hatching eggs as a newbie... It is also important to be that the hens all be kid friendly. So they will be handled asap.

At what age can chicks go outside in the coop safely? I will be starting my flock in Spring 2017. temp outside will typically be between 15-20ish degrees Celsius in the Spring.

Large breeds will pick on the Silkies once they get bigger than the Silkies. They'll keep them away from the feed. If it were me I would brood them separate or if you have to put them together make sure there are plenty of feeders and watch that the Silkies are getting picked on.

Hello, I have 4 silkies, and they are about 8 months old. (Are they ever cute!) I raised hem together, nothing really dramatic has happened. They will get pecked at once in a while, but otherwise, they do fine together. Sometimes I will let them free range and they do even better!
Silkies are a real hoot to raise!
celebrate.gif

I grouped all my "weird-feathered" bantam breeds (Silkies, Polish, Cochin) together in the same coop when they were mostly feathered out but had no issues mixing all breeds together in the brooder. I have also mixed ages, although I'm much more watchful when I do that and provide a larger space with distractions (marbles to peck at, hand mirrors, hanging treats) and hidey spots so the bigger chicks are routinely foiled if they decide to "go a' peckin'". I use the Mama Heating Pad method, so differing temperature requirements are not a thing.

I just love that Silkies are so friendly. I know they arnt really that great for egg production, but I just wanted a breed my children could enjoy. Besides the breeds I listed above, what other hens would compliment Silkies? :)

Thats good to know! What other breeds do you have? I will be letting mine freerange as well ;-). In the coop at night until around 10am, and then out till they're ready for bed.

​Hello, I have 4 silkies, and they are about 8 months old. (Are they ever cute!) I raised hem together, nothing really dramatic has happened. They will get pecked at once in a while, but otherwise, they do fine together. Sometimes I will let them free range and they do even better!
Silkies are a real hoot to raise! :celebrate

I just love that Silkies are so friendly. I know they arnt really that great for egg production, but I just wanted a breed my children could enjoy. Besides the breeds I listed above, what other hens would compliment Silkies? :)

Many good egg-laying breeds also come in bantam sizes, including EEs/OEs, so that's something to consider.

Most any bantam breed with the exception of the game breeds. Other crested breeds will do well like Polish or Houdans. As Silkies can't fly and have impaired vision they tend to be picked on by larger and/or more dominant breeds.

Back
Top Bottom