raising differnt breeds together???

craigImb

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 22, 2012
I am a newbie here, and to chicken farming.

I am looking at raising 10-15 chicks/chickens. I want differnt breeds and they will all be about the same age.

Is there certain breeds that do not interact well with others that I need to avoid?

Are there concerns if there is only 1 chicken per breed? or do you need to have atleast 2 of each variety?

Thanks

I spent some time reading about the personalities of the breeds I was interested in and decided to skip any that tended towards aggressiveness. We have 25 chicks now, including: Buff Orpington, Wellsummer, Blue Splash Marans, Black Australorp, California White, Silved Laced Wyandotte, White Leghorn, Ameracauna/Easter Egger, and Buckeye. They all get along really well with occasional spats but no one stands out as a bully.

When I was researching this I also read that if you get a "funny" looking chicken, like a silkie for example, it helps if you get more than one so they look normal and common in your group. But I do have only 1 Wellsummer (because thats all I could get) and 1 Buckeye (because one baby died). They seem fine and no one picks on them so far (oldest chicks are 4 weeks and the babies are 1 week).

I love having a wide variety of them; they are each so pretty!

Your best bet would be to place an order for chicks from a hatchery, that way, they would all be the same age. Some breeds are a little bit more agressive than others. Some are more friendly, and some are more skittish.

A great tool for me when I was first starting out was catalogs. Meyer Hatchery in particular has a great catalog you can get for free, and it shows pictures of each breed, and it gives a detailed description, including weight, egg production, termperament, cold or heat hardiness.....Things like that.

It would probably be a good idea to get two of each breed, but I don't really think it's necessary. Also, ordering from a hatchery is a good thing if you want all female chicks.

Take care and glad you joined the BYC,
Sharon

I would agree with above posts... It shouldnt matter to much as long as they are close and the brahmas are the bullies because they are the oldest and already laying...they tend to chase the smaller pullets from food and water but the addition of extra waters jas eased tensions! to the same age... I just added to buff brahma bantams to my flock of 3 9 week old chicks

Back
Top Bottom