Raising Ducks For Beginners

Farmer31

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
If someone would want to enter animal raising business,

why choose raising ducks?
And how do you raise them?

Many animal farmers are now considering raising ducks instead of the more popular counterpart, the chicken. This is because raising them is less expensive. Ducks are also more resistant against extreme weather. And they lay yummy eggs.

spammer link removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Read this
big_smile.png

They have much more personality than chickens, IMHO.

Believe me, they are not cheaper to raise than chickens.

They do sell for more, though. Not that they are going to make a profit for the majority of farmers.

Not that they are going to make a profit for the majority of farmers.

Yeah, I would not raise ducks & expect to turn much of a profit. It seems to be a no profit, all loss adventure for most folks. Get ducks because you love ducks. Anything you get from them, or for them, after that is great.

Trust me, if you do not love ducks, you will love them even less when you are rinsing poop out of their coop and dumping frozen water from their pools in winter.

I have read, and a few friends who raise them agree, that raising meat and pet/show rabbits can be profitable(ish). But, we're probably talking the financial equivalent of a good paper route unless you want to be the rabbit king.

Wow, I dated myself. Paper routes! Ha!​

Last edited:
m.kitchengirl :

Not that they are going to make a profit for the majority of farmers.

Yeah, I would not raise ducks & expect to turn much of a profit. It seems to be a no profit, all loss adventure for most folks. Get ducks because you love ducks. Anything you get from them, or for them, after that is great.

Trust me, if you do not love ducks, you will love them even less when you are rinsing poop out of their coop and dumping frozen water from their pools in winter.

I have read, and a few friends who raise them agree, that raising meat and pet/show rabbits can be profitable(ish). But, we're probably talking the financial equivalent of a good paper route unless you want to be the rabbit king.

Wow, I dated myself. Paper routes! Ha!​

yuckyuck.gif
hey I remember them.​

I put an ad on local classifieds and sold all listed ducks and no listed chickens...does not mean I profited though.

The phrase I've heard is "There is a lot of money in rabbits - the hard part is getting it out of them."

Based on this pamphlet from T A&M - Backyard Rabbit Production - you're looking at about $18/rabbit. ANNUALLY.

Raising critters is not *easy* but it surely isn't hard enough to make it the road to riches.​

The whole of idea of making money in livestock depends on where you live. not just for market reasons, but for legality issues as well. If you live in a state that regulates EVERYTHING you're not going to be able to sell your eggs without a license and you sure as heck aren't going to be able to process a few birds on property to sell. If you live in a less regulated area you might be able to sell some live birds and some eggs, no problem, thus increasing your profit margins. There's more to look at then just "how many people are selling duck eggs in my area?"

Back
Top Bottom